Dell Inspiron 1300/Half Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf4qhk

Baseband Member
Hey guys,

I am working on a Dell Inspirion 1300 now, and just about had it where it needed to be, but, my cats knocked over a jar of water on top of it. Initially, it seemed to be fine, but, the color on the laptop was a bit off, with a bit more blue tinted.

Anyway, the screen quit working completely, but, after some prayer and time, it dried out, and worked fine this morning. It worked completely wel, and while I had it up, I downloaded MalWare bytes anti malware, and also, I guess, downloaded a Windows update, since I was able to connect here at work.

Anyway, when I was shutting it down to move it, it said that not to turn itoff, it would shut down by itself, because it was installing updates. After those updates installed, it then came up with all of the screen compressed in the left half of the screen, with the very top of the screen rolled onto the bottom of it. I messed around with the settings a small bit, and it became a bit more readable, but, it is still compressed into half a screen.

The color is perfect, and everything else is too.

The only thing is that the big Windows XP emblem/symbol doesn't come up with the computer is loading, so, I don't know if booting into "Safe Mode" is an option.

While it could be liquid damage, I am hoping for a software issue resulting from one of the downloads. While running the MalWare bytes program, the AVG program detected 2 trojan viruses.

So, I want to exhaust every possible hardware damage issue initially.

Please advise.

Thanks.

Jeremy

sounds like a virus. does the post screen look like this too? can you get in to the bios? you could always reinstall windows.

What is the post screen?

Well, I wouldn't know how to get to the BIOS, because, ther is nothing on the screen at all as far as the initial loading. So, I would not know how to get the BIOS up.

also, it has an external VGA jack, and I hooked up my monitor to it, and the whole screen worked on my Monitor.

Jeremy

Press and Hold? I Just get beeping for when I do that.
Still, bank screen until computer comes up.

Jeremy

nope just press once, but every mobo has a different way to get in to bios. sounds like that a virus could be causing this instead of water damage. is formatting the hdd and reinstalling windows a option?

I dn't have the original, or any, XP disk.

Is there something I can do to back it up to before teh update was installed today?

Now, I just restarted it, and it's fine.
Hmm..

full screen and every thing? well run a virus scan, see if it picks any thing up.

also use the edit button, we dont like double posting around here

Now that it's up, how can I check the settings?

I would restart it, but, am scared we may get the same results again.
I have AVG, Malware Bytes, and SuperAntiSpyWare on it.

Jeremy

What did I double post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom