Even Cheaper Netbooks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorsoft

Fully Optimized
Continuation of: http://www.techist.com/forums/f84/sub-100-laptops-about-hit-market-185350/

I found at least one model of these cheap netbooks available in the US now from Chinese manufacturers.

Alpha 400 MIPS 400MHz 128MB 1GB 7" Linux Ultralite Notebook Belco ALPHA-400

Only $150, not quite sub-$100 yet but it's a darn cheap little gadget and fully functional with Linux. One could probably throw Windows CE on there, too. I can't find any info on what the battery life is but it does claim to have wireless connectivity, even if it's only B.

Not bad, although not sure i'd like to be playing "flash games" on a 7" screen.
Just shows you how things are coming down... :)

Tkey

Continuation of: http://www.techist.com/forums/f84/sub-100-laptops-about-hit-market-185350/

I found at least one model of these cheap netbooks available in the US now from Chinese manufacturers.

Alpha 400 MIPS 400MHz 128MB 1GB 7" Linux Ultralite Notebook Belco ALPHA-400

Only $150, not quite sub-$100 yet but it's a darn cheap little gadget and fully functional with Linux. One could probably throw Windows CE on there, too. I can't find any info on what the battery life is but it does claim to have wireless connectivity, even if it's only B.

I am planning to buy one small netbook as well. The thing is i am not sure how advantageous it would be to buy a netbook at this time. Another thing is i am brand conscious so Sony seems better to me than Acer. Also, these cheap netbook comes with Linux operating system. Can you load xp on that? Since they have limited space/ram , would installation of XP/ Vista would slow them down?

Depends on exactly what spec they were. XP is fine on most even if slightly laggy.
As jorsoft said, CE would probberly be fine if you could get your hands on a copy.

Tkey

Depends on exactly what spec they were. XP is fine on most even if slightly laggy.
As jorsoft said, CE would probberly be fine if you could get your hands on a copy.

Tkey

Okay great. But how robust and strong is Windows CE? How good are graphics in it?

It's a $100 laptop. I think that question was answered a long long time ago... ;)

Tkey

It's a MIPS processor, I don't think you can run x86 operating systems on it. Windows CE has x86 emulators, they've got about the power of a 286, though.

besides who really cares about graphics if your using it for what "they" say it's for? net browsing, email, etc... but of course that will last about as long as a person on here not OCing a new GPU. ;) and my eyes are getting bad, so I need at least a 15" screen or better... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom