SATA Question - Silly Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

stehodges

Baseband Member
Recently built a new computer, and have a single SATA drive (which is the boot drive - with XP) connected to the SATA 1 on the motherboard.
Motherboard is an ASUS P4S800D.

Everytime the computer boots up i get a message saying that no secondary SATA drive can be found, there is no option in the BIOS to disable the secondary channel, any one got any ideas?

Its not a major problem but slows down the booting process a fair bit.

Sounds like the BIOS must be tying to initiate a RAID setup. Enter the RAID Setup Utility to correct this problem.

Is the raid setup entereed from pressing Ctrl+S?
This is the message that appears, ive entered that, there is nothing i can change.

It will give you a hotkey to press right before the O/S initiates.

Yes, the hotkey is Ctrl+S, or I read that it maybe F4, which didnt do anything.
It seems to hang on the logo screen, while its searching for the secondary SATA i presume. The drive is connected to SATA 1, which is 1 of 2 ports built into the motherboard.

Its certainly in the right port, the OS boots fine, I just need the BIOS(?) to know that I do not want a raid, just a single SATA drive.

If you are positive that the HDD is connected to a native channel (not RAID), and you do not have a RAID Profile setup - Then look through the BIOS for disk operation related options.

Oh, hold on - Whats the difference between a RAID channel and a native channel. Its connected through a thin SATA cable to a SATA connection on the Motherboard. I thought a RAID was a group of SATA drives, or could be.

A native channel is for a single SATA HDD. I am almost positive that you are receiving this message due to having a single SATA HDD on a RAID channel.

You can learn about RAID here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom