Computer wont turn on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bptuner

Beta member
Hey guys, first post to the forum, can't seem to find help anywhere else so i'll try here.

I got a new gfx card for xmas, a 9800GTX+. I plugged it in my old crappy mobo, what make im not sure but a Gigabyte and my computer would alternate between either: turning on for about 10 seconds without posting, screen stays blank, then turning off OR turning on, doesn't post, then does nothing.
Assuming it was just my motherboard, I bought a few upgrades but im still having the same problem except sometimes the light on the monitor, to indicate wether its engaged or not, will light up for 1-5 seconds, then computer turns off again.

THe specs im running at the moment are:

600W Vantec iON2+ PSU (NEW)
ASUS GeForce 9800GTX+ (NEW)
1GB DDR2 Kingston RAM (NEW)
Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 80GB
Intel P4 3.0ghz (I don't know the exact model)
Gigabyte GA-EG31MF-S2 motherboard (NEW)

I suspect, after upgrading the PSU, mobo and RAM, and still no relief, that either: the cpu is imcompatable with the motherboard OR the psu is not sufficient enough to run my system.

My old PSU was a stock 350W and my old gfx card was a Sapphire Radeon X300.

Any infomation is appricated as this is killing me :(

The suppy certainly lacked there. The 600w is quite adequate while there is one other thing to look at there. Did you plug the power feed into the card?

The newer high end models require the 6pin 12v feed to power the larger vpus seen on them. If you forgot to plug that in... oops! you won't get very far.

Yes. Everything is plugged in where it should be. The card has two 6pin power inlets.
What would happen if you put a socket 775 cpu in a socket 775 motherboard but the motherboard's bios doesn't support the cpu. What would be observed?

I checked the compatability list for my mobo and it doesnt support a big bunch of the older P4s. I think I may have one of these unsupported models. So if the cpu and mobo were the same sockets but the mobo bios didnt support the cpu, the mobo would still power on but not post?

Yeah, this shouldn't have been a CPU/mobo compatibility problem. It started happening when you got the new card. Granted, your old PSU couldn't handle the card effectively, but with the replaced PSU, it should be no problem. It sounds like you might have a defective card. At least, that's what it sounds like to me.

Out of curiosity, what speed RAM do you have? It's a longshot, but maybe the problem you first had was the PSU, but now it's something different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom