Vista Home and an Internal Backup Drive Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larson

Beta member
I just purchased a Dell Dimension E521 Computer with Vista Home edition with SP1 installed. It has (2) 512 Mempry sticks and is a 64 bit system. Here is what I need help on.

I had another computer that had Win XP Pro installed and to make a long story short, the system crash and I had to have my drive recovered from a friend who is an IT. He was able to revive the drive so I then bought an External 500 GIG WD drive to use as a data back up drive. I transfered ALL the data from the recovered drive onto the external drive successfully.

Win Xp was starting to act up again so I attached once again my new USB drive to the computer via it's USB comnection and it backfed power somehow into the circuit on the external WD 500 Gig drive and fried its circuit board. I opened the drive up, took it out of its external case and found that it was a SATA drive. Footnote: I called WD about the problem and they said that they would warranty the drive by sending it to them, which they will distroy and send me back a new drive in its place. I told them that was unacceptable because all my data is on that drive. This was the reason I purchased the 500GIG drive it in the first place. He told me that if I opened the external drive it would void it's warranty. Well DUH !!! I opened the case and retrieved the drive...

Moving on: I installed the external USB drive from its case and installed it into the new Vista 64 Home system. The drive was recgoniosed just fine. Now I have a new problem with the backup WD 500 Gig drive. While accessing some data on the 500 Gig backup drive the other day, Vista froze and when I went to rebooted the system I got this error message: "One of your drives needs to be checked for consistancy" - Then Vista does an automatic CHKDSK at boot-up and about a half hour later it tells me that it is unable to adjust the "Log File Size" and that it is adding 6 bad clusters to the bad cluster file. Then it goes on to tell me that it has Insufficient Disk Space to Fix the Bad Cluster File and that CHKDSK is being aborted. I have 200 gigs maybe of files with the WD 500 Gig drive, so space shouldn't be an issue!

After about another 15 minutes it boots to Vista normally. When I try to access the drive in Vista Home after it is up and running, I select the drive which is showing up as an "F" drive and then it gives me the final message that states >>> F: is not accessable<<< So then I click on the drive to show the files in Explorer this message appears "The Semaphore Timeout Period Has Expired and it never displays the files like before. Whew !!!!

One more point: If I disconnect the 500 Gig WD backup drive that onced worked in the Vista System, Vista launches just fine and has no problems.....

Anyone have any suggestions? I need to retrieve the drives files again like before so formatting isn't an option!

Thanks,

Larson

Sounds like you have bad luck with hard drives. :p

Try doing another chkdsk from cmd prompt.

chkdsk f: /r

Crazy D - I tryed to do this from the c prompt but I get this message:

"Access Denied as you do not have sufficient Privileges"

"You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode"

What does that mean and how do you fix that situation?

Thanks.... :rolleyes:

Crazy D - just ran the CHKDSK and it says that it cannot check this drive because it is a RAW drive? What Now ??

Sheeshhhhhhhhh !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom