Do i need a new power supply for a new vid card? 450w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Optional

Baseband Member
okay, so I have my main gaming computer which is pimped out, but I'm making another one from an older pc.

----
it's current set up

processor: intel core2duo e8400
memory: 2gb
video card: geforce 7900 gtx oc
Power supply: 450w, lawl
It runs games fine, but It starts running crappy for games like COD4, Fallout 3, WoW:WOTLK with full shadows, etc.

I only have one dvd drive, using built in sound on the motherboard, and using built in ethernet.

I want to upgrade to a different video card, preferably under 500 dollars. Can anyone recommend one that's significantly better than my 7900 gtx oc? ATI? Nvidia?

I'm assuming i'd need a more powerful PS if i wanted one of the 2gpu cards like 9800 or the new ati 4870.

what about one of the ATI HD 3870 X2 1GB cards? would my PS hold up? It's holding up just fine now.

GeForce GTX 260, this seems a reasonable price too, and is getting great reviews

thanks for any input

how much do you want to spend?

what specifically is your psu, links if possible, info from the side sticker would work.

What size monitor do you plan on using?

I'm using a 22" widescreen. I still have the sheet my comp came with when I had it custom made, my power supply is this:

OCZ OCZ45012U-450W Modstream Power Supply PCI-E Ready W/ Ezmod Cable System & Blue LED Fan

It's held out really nice so far, and sorry I meant the 4870 ati. Those aren't 2gpu cards, so it shouldnt do much more, if any, wattage than my 7900 gtx. I'd want to keep it under 200 if possible.

I'm not really wanting to buy a new PSU because I have no idea how to put it in, the store near me that I go to can do it for me, but i'd have to drop it off for several days.

well that's actually a great little psu that you have there. 26A on the 12v rail is a solid start. You can put a good card on that, but a 4870x2 would be way out of your price range, power range, and would be over kill for your system. I'd recommend either a 4870 or gtx260 core 216. Those are both under 300 last I knew and will serve you fine with your current configuration.

Thanks for the up man. I'm gunna go out and grab a 4870.

Is there a difference between a 512mb and a 1gb 4870? Their price is like the exact same..

woah woah woah.

26 amps on the 12V rail is not very much at all...you won't run a 4870...you definitely need to upgrade the power supply if you want a nice mid-high end card.

This:
Newegg.com - POWERCOLOR AX4870 512MD5-PPH Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
205 (190 after rebate)

And this:
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies
100 (80 after rebate)

and this:
Newegg.com - OCZ SLI-Ready Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

That's below your budget and a nice upgrade. Sell your current ram on the bay. Do you know what motherboard you have?

My ram is fine, my motherboard is a gigabyte something or other, they are both fine I'm too lazy to look up their names.

I'm getting mixed feedback here, some say my ps will run the 4870 fine, some say it wont.

it won't run, and i suggested the ram because 4gb is pretty much the standard for gamers today. 2gb isn't enough in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom