Is a sound card worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it noticeable, especially with a nice set of speakers. I think it really depends how much you're into the audio, though. Some people can't tell the difference at all.

edit: I would recommend one, for the record. X-Fi is very good.

I would highly recommend an off-board sound card. The X-Fi is fantastic, but I would get one retail, not OEM.

I second the X-FI....I bought a sweet set of cans to go with my X-FI and have never looked back.

warrenty and register the card with creative.. as well as the fact "knowing" that no one has used it before you.

just saying, lotta sound issues while gaming in vista, perhaps it's the video drivers, perhaps the sound drivers, perhaps vista.. some problems have been resolved, yet not all.

I as well have an X-Fi XtremeGamer

You guy's notice that big of a difference between the on-board chips on newer boards and a after market card?

I have been under the impression for the last 6 years that the on board chips were perfect unless you use pro audio programs etc..

What is the advantage of buying retail packaged as opposed to OEM?
If it's OEM you can't register it and it comes with no warranty-as Demalii said. You also don't get any of the accessory parts (cables, CD's, etc.). OEM basically means that it is intended for a computer builder who then takes the responsibility of supporting the product. When you build your own and purchase OEM then that responsibility becomes yours.

I some times have a problem with sound on new windows instalations. Would buying a sound card solve this problem?

I some times have a problem with sound on new windows instalations. Would buying a sound card solve this problem?

Maybe. What kind of problems? Integrated sound is usually set up just with the chipset drivers or on some prebuilds there's a seperate sound driver. I haven't had many sound issues on windows reinstalls, usually it either works or it doesn't and it's all a driver thing.

You guy's notice that big of a difference between the on-board chips on newer boards and a after market card?

I have been under the impression for the last 6 years that the on board chips were perfect unless you use pro audio programs etc..

Integrated sound now is pretty much at the level of a Sound Blaster Live or Audigy, which is pretty good. Some games aren't programmed to really make much of a difference but particular features, especially EAX, can be really nice and do make a difference to a lot of people. Some people just can't tell the difference, though, or at least not much of a difference. So dropping that extra cash on a card isn't really worth it. I can tell a difference myself but I've been using the same Audigy 2 card for years now and I've never bother to upgrade to an X-Fi because I figured it wouldn't be worth the step for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom