CPU out of range?! grrr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton

Yee Ol' Salt
Well big dumb Newb here..
I went and threw my CPU out of range.. tried to OC my CPU and whamo! no response.. I went into Bios and tried to raise the CPU frequency it said give a number between 2oo and 600 so I said 300 sounds fair.. lol and then saved it and then now it wont get past the splash screen on the M3N and switched MB to my M2N that I have and there it says, "CPU frequency has been changed always save before you quit".. the irony here is thats what I did wrong, I should NOT have saved it when I changed it. LOL

S.O.S. :eek: :eek: :eek:

is it possible to change the frequency back?

The frequency is saved on the motherboard not on the CPU.

And there's a good chance that you fried it.

Yes, tried it on the M2N and it was in that board before I bought the M3N.. so yea it must be fried like chicken :(

This is why you need to read about overclocking before you mess with settings that you don't know what they do. You massively raised the CPU frequency. It might not have fried, who knows. Reset the M3N CMOS and try it.

I don't know what chip you have, so I'll use my chip as an example to demonstrate what you just did.

My chip has a default multiplier of 12.5, and the frequency is 2500MHz (200 (FSB)*12.5).

Now if I were to jack the FSB to 300 without changing anything else, I just overclocked it to 3.75GHz. That's a massive jump.

The correct way, if you are unsure of the limits of your chip, is to increase the FSB incrementally and slowly. Go up 5-10MHz at a time (depending on your multiplier, as that will obviously make changes more/less drastic) until it is no longer stable (doesn't POST, or crashes/doesn't load Windows).

In fact, since you just jacked the FSB up, you could have damaged other components as well, such as your memory. This is because when you increase the FSB, everything on the board increases as well.

cpu is 4800+ brisbane, mem is ocz gold DDR2 800.

I flashed the cmos in the M3N72-D and even put the CPU in the M2n I had it in before, to see if it was the MB that went, and it gave the same response, but with more detail as stated in the top of the thread

Well then you have the same CPU I have. You just overclocked it to 3.75GHz without making any other changes. It is most likely fried, or damaged. The memory may not have fared quite so well either.

Well on the bright side I was already looking to replace that cpu in the next few days.

live and learn, honestly I never looked into OC'ing due to just this sort of thing happening. better to fry a $50 CPU then a $200+ one. I'm hoping the Ram is ok tho, didn't see any error's about that.

Overclocking is actually quite simple to do and unless you're Nos or Vern :)p), there usually isn't a high risk involved.

seriously..ouch i Oced by Q6600 straight from stock to 3ghz (266FSb to 333)...didn't seem to break it though that's lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom