Gaming build review

Status
Not open for further replies.

dem0x7

Solid State Member
Hi,

Just wanted your advice on this build I put together. I hope everything is compatible with each other. This build isn't for MAJOR gaming, just World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike Source.

Processor: $190
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Motherboard: $130
Newegg.com - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

RAM: $45
Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Internal Hardrive: $80
Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Graphics: $175
Newegg.com - MSI R4850-512M OC Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

PSU: $120
Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

CD/DVD Burner: $30
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

Computer Case: $80
Newegg.com - NZXT Apollo Black SECC Steel Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases

Cooling: ~$75
Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Newegg.com - Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - Thermal Compound / Grease

Newegg.com - Scythe S-FLEX SFF21D 120mm Case Fan - Case Fans

Overall the build looks good. I would change the psu to the 650tx which would be plenty of power even if you decided to add a second HD 4850 for crossfire in the future.

I would change the cpu cooler to a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, its cheaper and better than the Zalman. The Core contact comes with Tuniq TX-2 thermal paste which is currently the best thermal paste you can get and much better than as5.

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

That's pretty much my build, but I have a 650W power supply + minor differences.

I agree with the above fan, I've asked around and it's a good choice.

I went ahead and changed the graphics card to the Sapphire one you posted, but just curious, what is the difference in RAM? Was there something wrong with the one I had, what makes this one better?

I went ahead and changed the graphics card to the Sapphire one you posted, but just curious, what is the difference in RAM? Was there something wrong with the one I had, what makes this one better?

gddr3 vs gddr5(gddr5 is better) is the difference in the ram (i didnt check the size amount)

4870 is a step above the 4850. (10-25% better?)

Yeah, I changed the video card no problem. The 4850 I had didn't have any reviews so I was hesitant on getting it.

I just liked the price of the RAM I had before, and someone recommended it. If the newegg rebates actually work though, I'll go ahead and get the gddr5 one.

You do not need any thing close to a 4850 to run WoW and CS:S...

Well, I agree.. CSS and WoW natively are not demanding at all.. however, if he likes to play in Raids that are crowded.. then it starts to get pretty demanding and huge stuttering occurs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom