Processor or Video Card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThE sHoZnAt

Baseband Member
Hi, I'm just wondering whether I should get a new graphics card or a new processor (lol there). I play a lot of games, like Halo and Battlefield 1942, and I feel that my Intel Celeron isn't doing me much good. But then again, the on-board graphics are bad too. I need to keep it under aboout $170 Canadian too. Please help.

O yeah, my specs are:

Compaq Preario

Intel Celeron CPU 2.8GHz

0.99 GB of RAM

hmm that's going to depend on what kind of motherboard you have. If you don't have a decent motherboard you cant get the best out of a new video card or a new proccessor.

i think you need to edit your post. you asked wether you should get a new graphics card or video card. they are the same thing.

can the celeron go up to 2.8ghz??

I think you shouyld upgrade to a Radeon 9600 XT or 9800 Pro, or if you have more money, an X800 - the Celeron 2.8 wil be able to handle Doom 3, although the onboard graphics won't

Up until a few months ago I had an emachines with a 1.7 GHz celeron and on board graphics. My roommates made me jealous because they were playing all the new games, but I couldn't play them at all. I had to play Black Hawk Down on 800x600 with everything on the lowest settings. I could play Call of Duty or UT2004 at all. Man onboard graphics made me want to pull my hair out.

apokalipse said:
I think you shouyld upgrade to a Radeon 9600 XT or 9800 Pro, or if you have more money, an X800 - the Celeron 2.8 wil be able to handle Doom 3, although the onboard graphics won't

Don't get an X800 unless you want to go all out and get the X800XT P.E. That card would be bottlenecked by your processor. Get a 9800 Pro.

Yeah, the 9800 pro sounds like a good choice, but isn't that like 200ish american. I think that would put him over his limit, but I could just be shopping in the wrong place :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom