Quick Question about using an LCD TV as a Monitor...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
If I get a monitor, do I have to get one who's native resolution is something a computer typically supports?

Example - If I get a TV with a resolution of 1366x768, is that a bad idea?

It will work, but the lower resolution may be tough to look at (compared to a regular monitor).

The thing I don't get is, I saw some 720p LCDs at Best Buy with outstanding picture. Their resolution was 1366x768. How would that resolution on a TV differ from that resolution on a computer screen? The only problem I can see is my computer not being able to select a resolution of 1366x768. BTW that's just an example, I'm considering a 1080 LCD TV.

But, in theory, if my computer could display 1366x768, then that picture on the LCD TV should look as crisp and clear as it did on the shelves of Best Buy. Am I right?

I guess I'm going to be looking for an LCD TV that's 32-37 inch for below 700 bucks with decent response time. Preferably a 1080p @ 1920x1080...

Considering I have 1280x1024 on a 19" screen (and I am well behind most here), 1366x768 seems low. That would be very acute if it were spread out over a larger area than my monitor, like a 24" TV.

The picture should be clear, though. Odds are you were seeing HD playback or something, as regular TV is very fuzzy (by computer resolution standards).

Nah, I was watching typical music videos, some of which I'm a fan of (By Nirvana and such) so I could recall from memory and compare them.

Yeah, they weren't picture perfect clear. I got that. But I don't recall the video being clear in the first place anyway. I was thinking back from when I was watching it in VLC media player on my computer and it really didn't offer much of a difference. I was looking at some 720p TVs and when I looked really close, I could see individual pixels easily. But the 1080s looked pretty snazzy... even close up.

My train of thought is this...

I'm looking at a Sharp AQUOS 32" 1080p @ 1920x1080 resolution. That's 1920x1080 @ 32 inches, whereas my current Dell widescreen 24" computer monitor is 1920x1080.

Looking at that monitor in person with typical TV shows, that I could tell anyway, looked pretty snazzy.

But, who am I to judge. I don't have an LCD hooked up to my computer. I read a couple tech magazines in the store about LCD tvs and a few of them mentioned that as long as you get a 1080 TV, it'll do fine with your computer.

Can anybody offer their own personal findings here? Anybody running an LCD tv as their monitor? If you could post specs and personal opinions about it, that'd be great. I'm particularly interested in how LCD TV's render text off of web pages along with how a typical DVD movie looks when played.

i went from a 19in monitor that was 1440x900 to a 1366x768 26in HDTV. I rly dont notice a difference. I personally would rather just have it bigger.

So despite the size difference, you still get decent picture quality (in your opinion) when sitting pretty close to the TV?

The LCD TV and your LCD monitor can be compared the same resolution and picture quality wise. The only thing that may not be as great on the TV is the response time.

Now, you may not notice the slight degrade in quality going from a 24in monitor to a 26in TV that runs at 1366x768. But after a couple hours in front of it, it would wear on your eyes.

Like you said though, a good 1080i or 1080P TV at 26 or 32in would be great.

I hate to go on something like NewEgg reviews, but, I did...

There were several TVs from different makers I looked at. Many of the TVs had 100+ reviews each. All of them were 1080p and were 32-37 in size. I read every review that had the word "computer" in it. Out of the 200 or so I read, I haven't read a single one that said anything bad about it as a computer monitor. Some were very detailed and explained how even text on it looks crisp and clear without any boxiness or jagginess.

Still, by nature you would think 24" 1920x1080 would look sharper than 32" 1920x1080, but it seems like most people swear that there's not much of a difference.

But, then again, I'd be buying an LCD TV from the local Best Buy, since I have a gift card there and, I won't lie, I'm a fan of our local BB. So at least I have the novelty of knowing I can return it with ease if I'm not happy.

But, STILL... I'd love to hear a detailed review from somebody here...

I had a 26 Sony Bravia LCD TV a few months ago, And decided to hook it up as a PC monitor. Same resolution (1366x 768), and honestly everything looked spot on. The tv was only about 3 ft at the most from me.

And yes watching TV and playing CSS was the **** :)

I actually liked using it, but ended up selling it to a buddy who needed a cheap tv. So now im back on a 19in monitor. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom