Optical drives not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindApex

In Runtime
All of a sudden, I power on my computer, and the dvd-rom and cd-rw drives aren't showing up in Windows Explorer, SI Sandra, etc.. I checked all the IDE cables and power cords, and they're fine. These are not new drives, i've been using them for about 3 years...any ideas?

There's a Driver Recovery CD that came with the computer, but I can't use it because it's a CD...

Yea, I agree with Micro, Go into BIOS and see if it shows the drives. If it does then we can determine if its a Hardware or Software problem.

I'll place bets you will see it in BIOS. The drives dissappearing is only a windows problem. go into disk management and add drive letters back to your devices and reboot.

Also, if your drivers were corrupted, it might prevent them from showing on your computer. If this is the case, enter the device manager and remove your optical drives. Reboot and windows will detect new hardware and reinstall fresh drivers for them.

hmm, the first thing i did when i noticed they weren't detected was check the device manager and SiSandra, but nothing showed

however, i checked now and it seems my secondary IDE channel was disabled in the device manager, so I enabled it and everything works great now!

thx!

I had a similar problem with my HDD. When I powered up and it decided to WORK, the HDD wasn't detected. So I took the case off my PC and pushed the ribbon cable in harder. That's all it took.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom