Bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprooty

Daemon Poster
Hey , I was wondering what would be the main item in my pc that is bottlenecking it in games ie : Counter Strike Sorce i only get 20 - 35 fps

Athlon Xp 2400 133fsb (133fsb from what i know)
1 Gb PC 2700 Ram
GA7VA Gigabyte mobo (i think its crap i donno)
Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb

i dont think any of the other small components could really bottleneck it

Yes. Definitely. Infact, I'd recommend doing that. Maybe the 3200 If you like! To you, It'd probably be the cheapest way to go if you don't want to spring money for a new MOBO.

Everything else seems fine.

get a 2500+ XP and overclock it to 3200+ speeds or get a 35w 2400+ XP-M also overclockable to 3200+ speeds and then you can get PC3200 ram. Right now your RAM is running faster than your CPU cause your ram has 333MHz and your computers FSB is 266, 266 = PC2100 ram, (DDR = double data rate so ya gotta do 133x2 = 266) So yeah if you got a 2500+ chip which is 11x166 default that'd be 1:1 ratio for your CPU and RAM. Like I said thats a renowned chip for overclocking. But you need a good mobo, and ram, and PSU for that.

Upgrading might help but ur specs should run a 6-year old game easily so i think u have a problem somewhere!

My old pentium2 and voodoo2 card gave me framerates like urs on CS.

Is that running it in D3D or OpenGL?

Maybe someone else can help?

Comon guys, he doesnt need an upgrade to play CS!

Yeah with your current setup you should be able to play Counter-Strike no problem. Don't know why it'd be doing that. I hate ATI though and have never used them so I can offer no helpful hints in that direction =P Update drivers is about the usual advice I'd say on that.....that setup should handle CS with like all high settings =/ I had a 2400+XP, GeForceFX 5700 256mb and 256mb of RAM and I could play sof2 on all high settings and get framerates in the hundreds. Lowest I saw was like 75fps. and soldier of fortune 2 is way more taxing on the system than CS is! Do you have a lot of crap running in the back? Have you run ad-aware and all that good stuff?

i myself am able to run CS with only these specs:

Pentium 3 800 MHz
320MB PC100 SD RAM
Asus P3V133 Mobo
GeForce 4 MX440 64MB

i don't c y u can't. something's wrong with yer system. try tweaking yer settings.

yeah i woudl agree that something is up with your system. Download Prime95 and run it for an hour or so and see if you get any errors. You might have processes running the background that slow ur comp down??

Does taskmanager hint at something like this happening?

Back to the original question, I also agree that a new processor would help your "bottleneck". If you don't feel like overclocking then the 3000+ is a good processor. If you get the barton core you can have the 400 mhz fsb but that would also mean you would need a new motherboard. I have the 400 mhz fsb 3000+ oc/d to 3200+ with a 9600XT and i can play doom 3, so i think it would be safe to say that a 3000+ barton with a 9800 pro could run counterstrike :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom