Can't set up network on my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

belveder

In Runtime
I just finished networking my wives computer to mine. She is running Win98se and I am running XP Pro.

This is the first time I have had anything to do with networking so I don't know if I did everything right lol.

I set it all up using the XP disk, making a network floppy and using that on the wives computer and it all seemed to install fine. The problem is that mine gives a message saying "a network cable is unplugged"? I normally use an external USB modem for my computer as I have ADSL so I hooked the network up to my onboard network card

Can anyone help out with this please?

Many thanks in advance

I noticed that afterwards lol, sorry. To early in the morning here when I posted it, still half asleep. Could a mod please move this

By network, I am assuming you are talking about a router/hub. It will be more difficult to get it going on her computer considering she is using Windows 98 SE.

First you are going to want to install the software (that came with router/hub) on her computer. Then configure the router/hub. In most cases you can do that using Internet Explorer, and connecting to 192.168.1.1.

I cannot give you detailed instructions without knowing which router/hub you are using. It also may be difficult connecting a USB modem to one, without the proper conversions.

I'm not using a router or a hub, was trying to do it from my onboard modem to a network card on her computer. That way she can access my computer and go on the internet with her computer.

I don't really know if this can be done as it is my first time regarding networking etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom