Can't Push My Q6600 Past 2.8Ghz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scionix

Baseband Member
Hey guys, I am self admittedly inexperienced with OC'ing processors, but after hearing about people ratcheting their Q6600's up to stupid values, I figured I'd give it a go. All I'm shooting for is 3.2GHz, but I can't even manage that.

Basically, when I go past 2.8GHz, my pc just hard locks. No bluescreens, no error messages, just hardlocks. Granted, this might have something to do with the fact I'm using Nvidia's system tools to do it, but lower clocks work just fine using the same tool, so I dunno. I'm using it because I can't find the option to toggle FBS speed in my bios, so if anyone could help me out there as well that'd be awesome.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this is on stock voltage. Increasing the voltage didn't do squat :/

My specs:

Q6600 Quad-Core
Two 8800gt's in SLI
8gb Corsair Dominator DDR2 RAM
Nvidia 750i Motherboard.

Any help would be sweet!

Ummm, software overclocking is never a good idea. Ever.

Look through the manual for the fsb control, it will be there. If you still cant find it google it. I dont have any experience with nvidia bios so i cant say.

YIKES never ever use a software EVER.

Only use the bios. 3Gigs should be possible on stock.

Do you have a cooler?

Yes, default one that comes with the processor, but I'm only at 39C idle and about 50C full load, so I should be alright with just slight OC.

And I can look at the bios again, hopefully it's just the software :(

did you just get the q6600? or is it an older one. Download coretemp and tell us the VID as that will help out.

if its a new q6600 then don't even bother trying to get 3.2 stick with 2.8 and call it a day. if it's an old one get a sunbeam core contact cooler on that sucker and rev up the voltage.

peter, guruson has proved that the VID isnt a vital factor since hes got 4.6 stabe at 1.39 V on a wolfie with a high VID, 3.2 should be doable granted you read some overclocking guides and do everything right, and also get a decent cooler like peter said, the sunbeam should do.

the VID isnt everything on the wolfdales or yorkfields. it's more of a factor with 65nm.
but, in any event 3.2 ghz should be no problem. your ram is probably what is causing the problem if you are using software.

peter, guruson has proved that the VID isnt a vital factor since hes got 4.6 stabe at 1.39 V on a wolfie with a high VID, 3.2 should be doable granted you read some overclocking guides and do everything right, and also get a decent cooler like peter said, the sunbeam should do.

Its gurusan..

But that's only true on 45nm's...

Back at the topic at hand, I'm betting its the Software Overclocking that's bad... and with bad batches out there, I think if you got one, your stuck at around < 3.0ghz

the VID isnt everything on the wolfdales or yorkfields. it's more of a factor with 65nm.
but, in any event 3.2 ghz should be no problem. your ram is probably what is causing the problem if you are using software.

my qx6850 overclocked like a champ w 1.3 vid ;)

4.2ghz 3dmarkable!? wuht!!

4.3 super pi able!! wuht!!

vid don't mean SQUAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom