New Comp (Selected Parts Inside), Need Opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.

RaXoR

Solid State Member
Ok so I'm about to order parts and build a new computer, mostly for gaming and various engineering software used by my school. Mostly for gaming though! All parts are listed below, minus a power supply, which brings me to my first question.

What kind of power supply should I get? Wattage I'd be safe with? Number of 12V rails needed? for below components.

And also, if anyone has suggestions to the items listed below, they would be greatly appreciated.

Case: Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases (includes 120mm and 80mm fans)

Hard Drives: Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives and a 120GB Western Digital that I'm currently using now

DVD Burner: Newegg.com - LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - CD / DVD Burners

Floppy Drive: A Sony one for emergency boot purposes, which I'm currently using now

Monitor: Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 2232BW+ Black 22" 2ms Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 8000:1(1000:1) - LCD Monitors

Power Supply: Newegg.com - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Memory: Newegg.com - OCZ Platinum 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

CPU/Processor: Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Heatsink: Newegg.com - ZALMAN CNPS9500 AT 2 Ball CPU Cooling Fan/Heatsink - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Motherboard: Newegg.com - EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Video Card: Newegg.com - EVGA 896-P3-1267-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Mouse: Current Logitech MX500 I'm using

Keyboard: Generic Logitech office keyboard

A Corsair 650tx would be great...

um, Drop that e8500 for an e8400, the CNPS for a Core Contact Freezer... drop the 750i and go with a better board like a P45..

Do not get the superclocked version of a GPU, OC it yourself (unless its the cheapest..) maybe a HD 4870 1gb or 512mb.. around the same price but that GPU is still solid too

vernong1992 said:
A Corsair 650tx would be great...

I agree. That was about the wattage I was leaning towards and the Newegg filter I did brought it up as one of the 3 top-rated, the first having 3 12V rails, which I probably wouldn't make use of.

vernong1992 said:
um, Drop that e8500 for an e8400, the CNPS for a Core Contact Freezer... drop the 750i and go with a better board like a P45..

From your analysis, am I correct in assuming the extra 0.16GHz isn't worth the extra $28? Is that even noticeable? I also want to keep the nVidia 750i board since I'm getting an nVidia card. A few people have told me the system just runs smoother when you match the two. What's your reasoning behind the heatsink?

vernong1992 said:
Do not get the superclocked version of a GPU, OC it yourself (unless its the cheapest..) maybe a HD 4870 1gb or 512mb.. around the same price but that GPU is still solid too

I was also recommended by others to just OC myself so I will probably change that. Probably sticking with an nVidia card though because of the above reasoning.

The HSF I recommended is better in general, and comes with the best thermal paste that is cheap

And the people who you talked to, are either referring to a past generation, or do not know what they are talking about.. or both..

i'd say the board is fine if you're looking to sli later on down the road. you picked out the FTW edition so that's a good start.

secondly ditch the hdd and pick up a 7200.11 seagate instead. faster drive.

also i'd recommend thinking about a solid 24" monitor instead of a 22". A little bit more but I'd say its well worth it and with that card you'll be able to max out most games and have them look big and smexy.

i'd say the board is fine if you're looking to sli later on down the road. you picked out the FTW edition so that's a good start.

also i'd recommend thinking about a solid 24" monitor instead of a 22". A little bit more but I'd say its well worth it and with that card you'll be able to max out most games and have them look big and smexy.

I thought it was a 750i? not a ftw.. when I plug in the Google search for the ftw.. no go

Peter.Cort said:

I did a filter without necessarily having an nVidia chipset and a bunch of Intel chipsets came up with more/better reviews. Is there really a noticeable difference between the nVidia and Intel chipsets?

Peter.Cort said:

Seeing much lower reviews on this one and probably won't use the extra space, so I think I'll pass.

Peter.Cort said:

Also, I couldn't find a 24" LCD in the 2-3ms range. I want as little shadowing as possible so the fastest response time is real important to me. I doubt I'll miss the extra 2" THAT much :). I'm upgrading from a 17" CRT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom