Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 vs. AMD Phenom X4 9550/9500

Status
Not open for further replies.

uncertainone

Beta member
I need to buy a new desktop PC, but I know practically nothing about computers. So... any help would be greatly appreciated.

I need to choose between:

1. Q8200 + 4GB RAM
2. 9550 + 5GB RAM + 256MB NVIDIA GeForce
3. 9500 + 6GB RAM

What I use the computer for: Internet surfing, downloading and watching movies and TV shows, CD/DVD burning, some Word and Excel stuff, some graphics stuff (Paint Shop Pro, Animation Shop, Photoshop), and some video editing (Pinnacle: nothing complicated - cutting scenes from different videos and putting them together and adding some simple effects, mostly - but I do work with some pretty big files, if that matters). Plus I often run a bunch of programs (e.g. uTorrent, Nitro PDF professional, Livestation, Limewire, etc.) at the same time.

So... not being a gamer, would I still benefit from getting the better processor, or would the AMD ones work just as well and I should get more RAM instead? And would the graphics card do me any good?

How much money are you willing to spend? Can you get other CPU other than those? What motherboard do you have or are you getting?

All these CPU's stink tbh..

Q6600 is cheaper than these.. and better performance than all of them

Motherboard: D33-ICH9 (if 8200), M2N78-LA (if 9550), M2N68-LA (if 9500).

And I'm not building the computer myself - I'm just choosing between the three packages, none of which include a 6600. But do I really need the better processor if I'm not a gamer? Or would the cheaper AMDs work fine too (in which case I can get more RAM and hard drive space)?

Build your own computer and pick parts that give better bang for your buck. Just because you don't need a certain level of performance doesn't mean you should waste money on lackluster parts that are more expensive than superior components. If you literally cannot build it yourself, find a better pre-built company, such as ecollegepc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom