Printer Networking Problem between Vista-64 and XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bonoz

In Runtime
So here's the situation. I have two computers on a network. One is XP and the other is Vista 64. My Lexmark printer is connected to the XP machine. Both computers are networked and on the same workgroup. So now I want my Vista computer to be able to use the printer through the XP computer. I installed the Lexmark drivers on the Vista computer and it recognized the printer on my other computer and completed installing the drivers. However, when I print it goes in the queue but does not print and gives me an error saying that communication is not available between the Vista computer and the printer. I tried adding the printer through Vista but it still is not working. The option in network sharing window where you can turn on the printer sharing if it is connected to the computer is faded out.

So please help me. Thank.

Yes of course. I do. I am using Avast.

On the XP computer I have symantec running.

I tried turning off my anti virus but it still would not print.

Do not double post use the edit button.

Did you turn Windows Firewalls off and disable both antiviruses at the same time?

When I installed the Lexmark drivers on the new computer there's an option you can check which would 'take care' of the windows firewall.

oh man oh man good luck with running those two OS together. i tried to keep XP on my media rig while running server 08 64 bit on my main desktop and it was a nightmare. file sharing/printer sharing/network resource sharing was an absolute nightmare. i ended up installing 08 on my media rig i got so tired of fussing with it. so, i am no help. the suggestion i make is to run the same OS on both computers. is it possible to have the printer connected to the vista machine?

oh man oh man good luck with running those two OS together. i tried to keep XP on my media rig while running server 08 64 bit on my main desktop and it was a nightmare. file sharing/printer sharing/network resource sharing was an absolute nightmare. i ended up installing 08 on my media rig i got so tired of fussing with it. so, i am no help. the suggestion i make is to run the same OS on both computers. is it possible to have the printer connected to the vista machine?

Well if I do connect it do you think it will work then? however, my Vista machine is sort of a 'secondary' machine and I don't use it that much. For print sharing I'd have to have that computer be turned on all the time.

i would try it. my printer is (was) connected to my 08 rig, but i was never able to make it work. you may have better luck with it. and yeah it would have to be on anytime you wanted to print...which is no good if it is not you're main machine.

I have printer sharing between xp and vista machines and it works fine...
Could it be anything to do with administrator issues on the vista machine?? Just a thought....

maybe in the OP's case, but not in mine. which system do you have your printer hooked up to tim? can you share files and see shared folders/documents from each computer? i had a heck of a time with it...
OP can you connect your printer to your router? that would probably make it easier than running it through the other machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom