shut down at windows "welcome" screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

DawnOfDoom

Daemon Poster
Well i was surfing through youtube/techforums and all of a sudden my rig just .. shuts down. so im like ok...maybe slight surge so i try it again and it shuts down at the welcome screen.

Im able to keep the system on while im booted into Kubuntu but it seems to shut off in windows.

Could this be a hard drive failure?
PS: sorry if posted in the wrong area.

I don't know if that is a hard drive failure...if it stays on in Kubuntu. Have you tried logging into safe mode?

If you're using XP use the XP disk and try a repair install. If you're using Vista boot from the disk and run the repairs from there.

Hmm... this is very weird...... i shut it down for maybe 10 or so minutes. after i posted this from Kubuntu and i tried to log back into windows and its been on since..... this is very strange.. I'll post back when it shuts off randomly like this.

ok now i suspect possible overheating.

It seems to now only shut down when im running cpu/graphic/memory intesnsive work IE games/Autocad

I've checked my GPU temps and it stays around 79c.... im sure thats not healthy for my card.

Specs:

e4500 cpu 2.2ghz (stock clocking)
7900gs KO
Kinsgston generic ram.
ECS nForce 570

not sure if this is o verheating cuz i was checking my temps while in game and they dont change any. gpu stays in the 75-79c range even when im playing games. sooo im not sure whats the hang up here. is there a way for me to test my PSU to see if its dying

i checked all my power settings and they are fine.

I guess this is warning signals for me to start saving forr my nehalem rig :p

Every good techie uses a crashing computer as the excuse to get a new one ;). 79C on a 7900GS is fine. You can clean it out with a can of air and use RivaTuner to up the speed of the fan.

Have you checked Windows Event Log to see if it says anything about the crashes?

I recently discovered my GPU is NOT staying at 79c when in game. during some of the intenser parts of L4d I experienced temperatures excedeing 93c

I honestly do believe the reason it has shut down is because of of heating. I have reason to believe that my shutdown threshold is 100c on my card not sure where i can check that at as i do not have that nvidia tool anymore. I cannot remember what happened to it.

I'll take your advice Baez and clean it and use RivaTuner.

I'll check the Event log now and post back what i find

I've seen a few entries in the event log with yellow trianles and red circles with x's in them. Im not to sure what im looking at But could you give me some guidance as to what i should be looking for?

I recently discovered my GPU is NOT staying at 79c when in game. during some of the intenser parts of L4d I experienced temperatures excedeing 93c

I honestly do believe the reason it has shut down is because of of heating. I have reason to believe that my shutdown threshold is 100c on my card not sure where i can check that at as i do not have that nvidia tool anymore. I cannot remember what happened to it.

I'll take your advice Baez and clean it and use RivaTuner.

I'll check the Event log now and post back what i find

I've seen a few entries in the event log with yellow trianles and red circles with x's in them. Im not to sure what im looking at But could you give me some guidance as to what i should be looking for?

holy jeez wow, 93 is getting in the roasty area, id definitely bet my life on an over heating issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom