Help Downgrading My Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't count on overcloking a new Q6600 very much, the recent batches tend to be terrible overclockers.

Even if you do plan on multitasking I would still consider the E8400, its higher stock speed and incredible overcloking ability should make up for only being a dual core.

Haha dont worry he wont be able to play fo a while. So quads are best for multitasking? Also can you OC a quad in the future?

You can OC a quad any time you like, however, the Q6600s that are out now will struggle to get past about 3.2GHz. In comparison an E8400 can get to around 3.8-4.0Ghz on air. So it really depends what you want to do with it. I know for my own sake i would rather have a quad because i do alot of graphics work and 3d rendering which uses all four cores (all at 100% while rendering...).

can i downgrade the......hdd, psu, or the video card?

I wouldnt bother downgrading the video card, as they are normally at a pretty good price and any lower will struggle with newer games. Same for the HDD, you could get a 250GB or something but your only probably going to save a few dollars. The PSU can be downgraded to this though:

Newegg.com - Rosewill RP550-2 550W ATX12V v2.01 Power Supply - Power Supplies

but i doubt your saving much, and that PC P&C one is a great buy.

EDIT: I just realised the PC P&C is alot cheaper that i though atm. So disregard the Rosewill.

Don't count on overcloking a new Q6600 very much, the recent batches tend to be terrible overclockers.

Even if you do plan on multitasking I would still consider the E8400, its higher stock speed and incredible overcloking ability should make up for only being a dual core.

Agreed..

New q6600 do like 3 - 3.2ghz where as a e8400 will do about 4ghz (every chip is different though)

Less than that for a q6600, some are having trouble going past 3....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom