Video editing HDD question

Status
Not open for further replies.

wakeboarder.cwb

Baseband Member
Alright, i do a fair amount of video/photo editing using adobe cs4 studio and was wondering which hard drive solution i should go with.

My first HDD is a velociraptor 300gb. I'm going to put my page file on partition 1, OS on partition 2, and programs on partition 3.

Now should i place my video files that i'm going to be editing on partition 4 of the velociraptor, or should i just have the video i'm editing on my large 500gb 7500RPM hard drive that i use for video storage. Which would have the best performance when working with videos.

Thanks

The first thing to know about video is that hard drive space tends to get eaten up rather fast. While capturing video here the second XP drive sees simply one single large primary having run into 420gb used up out the 465gb total following partitioning, XP, and all programs bringing that about 8-10gb to 455gb.

In addition to the Vista host drive seeing a second storage partition an external drive was added as a main storage device. You may to consider a high capacity drive for storing large amounts of videos, photos, or simply numerous larger files.

I'm not worried about space, as i will have about 260gbs of room on the velociraptor, and 500gb on my SATA, and another 640gb on my external hard drive.

Just wondering if it will be better to edit video while its on the faster 10k rpm hard drive or on a 7500rpm hard drive that is separate from the OS.

once done editing it will all be moved to both the 500gb sata and the external 640gb. I'm thinking of using the 250gbs of space on the velociraptor as a temporary editing drive to see better performance when importing clips. will there be gained performance doing it this way?

I don't see any problems using the 260gb drive space as a temporary work space for editing purposes. For long term storage there you'll have to decide whether the 500gb sata or 640gb external best suits the purpose.

If you later decide to dual boot another OS the external drive would be the preferred. As for performance any work with video places a load on the cpu and available graphics memory where you may not notice any real difference simply being on the Raptor drive.

you can choose to have paging file to be on different partition? interesting

correct me if I am wrong, but
I think CPU is the limiting factor as oppose to HDD for video editing.
thus I'd just edit on the drive you are storing them on, and save you the time of transferring them.

Some people prefer to work on a copy in case there are any mishaps where the copy can simply be deleted and replaced by a fresh copy in the work space. Once complete you then place the ideal finish on the long term storage drive.

Yes, you can also have it on an entirely different HDD (which I do, and it is recommended to do this as well).

That wouldn't work here since I have multiple OSs on multiple drives. Gee? can XP share the same swap partition instead with ubuntu? :p

You can totally disable it from being created like a lot gamers do. You can have seen on a different drive. And you can also custom size the paging file if you don't want it managed by Windows.

That wouldn't work here since I have multiple OSs on multiple drives. Gee? can XP share the same swap partition instead with ubuntu? :p

You can totally disable it from being created like a lot gamers do. You can have seen on a different drive. And you can also custom size the paging file if you don't want it managed by Windows.

You could still do it :p. You'd just have a swap partition for Ubuntu, and then the paging file for XP (could do it on the same partition, they just won't be shared). And I set my to a custom size rather than be adjustable/managed by Windows (less of a chance of the paging file being fragmented that way). I still have a paging file even though I have 4GB of RAM :p.

I let Windows manage it for the moment even while having 4gb on here too. At some point rather soon XP will likely be replaced by a 64bit edition of Vista and later 7 when out on the next build to come.

The swap partition seen on the Linux drive here is actually an extended logical drive caught inside a primary. I think I could squeeze the paging file in there some how. :p That might take some work however. :eek: "work!" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom