Advice on a build

Status
Not open for further replies.

boomgagem

Solid State Member
Hey Everyone, new to the forums and need some advice on building my next system. Here is the list of everything I have picked out. If there is anything you would do different, please let me know.

The main use of this CPU is Entertainment (Music, Movies). I would like to play games, but it is not a huge concern. Let me know what you guys think of the hardware I have picked out.

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model GH22LS30 - OEM

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3750640AS 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

GIGABYTE GV-R467D3-512I Radeon HD 4670 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card - OEM

COOLER MASTER eXtreme RP-500-PCAR 500W ATX12V V2.01 Power Supply - Retail

Nippon Labs ICR-BB All-in-one USB +eSATA Card Reader - Retail

ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ - Retail

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - OEM

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

AMD Phenom 9850 BLACK EDITION 2.5GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HD985ZXAGHBOX - Retail

ASUS M3A78 Pro AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

A bit of overkill for a media PC, but it looks like a good build. The GFX card is the only difference between this build a a high-end gaming build, actually.

I tried to email you with three different email accounts to let you know about your account here, but all were bounced back as spam (Gmail, Yahoo, and AT&T/BellSouth). Please update your account with an email address that will actually accept email from the forum, such as a free Yahoo or Gmail account, or set the email account you now have to accept email from tech.forums.management [at] Gmail [dot] com. Thanks.

It's not bad, though I don't think you'll need the sound card, especially in Vista, since it disables hardware acceleration. The onboard sound should be fine for movies, music, and such. I'm sure someone will point out that intel is a lot better to go with than AMD, and I agree. Check out some of the Core 2 Duos around that price range and a bit higher, they're pretty sweet.

It's not bad, though I don't think you'll need the sound card, especially in Vista, since it disables hardware acceleration. The onboard sound should be fine for movies, music, and such.

Is this true? I'm planning my first build and from what I understood a sound card would help performance during games. I was looking at the Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer, is this a waste of money if I'm getting Vista 64?

Thanks Trotter, I think that GFX card is 89.00 on newegg, is there a better card out there for a little more money? I am going to reuse the case I have now.

Try E-Mailing me now. I added the Gmail account

Is this true? I'm planning my first build and from what I understood a sound card would help performance during games. I was looking at the Creative X-Fi Xtremegamer, is this a waste of money if I'm getting Vista 64?

Well, if you want to get a really great gaming experience and such, you can get a sound card too. The way I see it, if you want really great sound for extreme gaming, audio creation, or a crazy media box, get a nice sound card. If you're just going to watch a movie here or there and listen to music, you don't really need one if there's decent onboard.

If he's going to get a sound card, it should be at least something better than that one.

Well my last CPU was an AMD, and it worked great, and I've read alot of reviews about the 9850

Ok, I've got another question. I've got everything ordered and it all should be here tomorrow. I'm questioning my PSU choice now, and HDD actually, I read through most of the reviews on newegg, and both have had alot of problems.

My question is, I did not order another case, and want to make 100% sure that mine will work. It is an older case, a Verre V770. Here is a link with a little more info..

Squire International Ltd Verre V770 Series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom