Help please! System won't turn on

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still not sure where exactly to plug the connector that runs from the switch to the mobo...I don't know what 'buttons' you're talking about, i just see pins on the piece from the diagram that you showed me....

Sorry, I was going by the image oldskool posted. I pulled it up on Newegg and see that it is a different board. The power goes on the 4th and 5th pins from the right on the bottom row (PWRSW in the diagram). Sometimes the front connectors are flat on one side so you know which direction it goes on, sometimes not. I haven't fooled with any Gateway mobo swaps so I don't know about them.

The main ones you need are the power and HD activity light (IDE_LED). If you have a reset switch (RESET) hook it up, same with a case speaker (SPEAKER).

I plugged the connector into the 4th and 5th connector from the right, but still nothing. Any ideas on how to override the switch?

Ok, i think i figured out the power, i got the switch to work (at least it made all the fans turn on) but i dont have any display on the monitor...

By the way i also installed a new power supply, graphics card and processor at the same time as i installed the mobo...

Also, it seems that the end of the board that goes towards the back of the case isn't getting any power at all...the light doesn't come on when i plug in the ehternet cable, the LED's on my keyboard don't turn on when i plug them into the rear USB on the mobo...could this be why the display doesn't work? (The fan does work on the graphics card tho, but it is PCI express 2.0 and is plugged in directly to the power supply.)

Ay. Any ideas??

Sorry, I was going by the image oldskool posted. I pulled it up on Newegg and see that it is a different board. The power goes on the 4th and 5th pins from the right on the bottom row (PWRSW in the diagram). Sometimes the front connectors are flat on one side so you know which direction it goes on, sometimes not. I haven't fooled with any Gateway mobo swaps so I don't know about them.

The main ones you need are the power and HD activity light (IDE_LED). If you have a reset switch (RESET) hook it up, same with a case speaker (SPEAKER).

??? I posted the wrong picture ? :eek: Must have been tired .... ugghh ! Could have sworn I had it right.

The only real way you are going to solve this is by not using a Case that is designed to work in conjunction with a specific mobo.

It is a OEM case built to work with a OEM board for Gateway. It isnt made to have the mobo replaced and work flawlessly. The only way that would work is if you replaced it with the same EXACT mobo.

Try using a different case. One that is not designed to work with Gateway's hardware. So that you dont have to try and guess and reverse engineer how they have the power switch wired.

Thanks mak...but I think I already solved the power switch problem, the switch works to turn on all of the fans and i can hear the hard drive and everything...but there is still no display on the monitor.

should i have installed the new graphics card before putting in the mobo?

by the way i was reading this post http://www.techist.com/forums/f77/new-build-boots-but-no-display-194770/index3.html

Do you guys think ram could be my problem too? Like i said i have an asus p5Q pro mobo, the ram is 1 kingston 667 DDR2 2 gb stick at 1.8 V...i was also using the stock ram that came with the gateway, but figured it probably wouldn't be good enough. I tried just the kingston stick in the yellow slot nearest to the CPU and still nothing tho.

Here are some pics of the build. (How you like the destruction job on the back of the case to make the video card fit? heh)

Attachments

• DSCF0001.jpg
    DSCF0001.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 13
Thanks mak...but I think I already solved the power switch problem, the switch works to turn on all of the fans and i can hear the hard drive and everything...but there is still no display on the monitor.

Maybe you could take the video card out, then reseat it. Sometimes that is all it takes. Good that the switch issue is taken care of anyway. Oh, and yes, cool way to enter the case ! :laughing:

Maybe you could take the video card out, then reseat it.

Done did it, many times. Tried both PCIx 2.0 ports, tried unplugging and replugging in the cable from the PSU to the card, tried both of the ports for the monitor cable.

Couldn't it be a ram issue or something? I also saw something about resetting the CMOS, how do I do that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom