Problems with X-fi Xtreme music sound card, no sound..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Daemon Poster
my friends computer has a A creative X-fi extreme music sound card. I bought them some logitech X-210 speakers, I have the same speakers and Vista, they worked straight away for me with onboard sound.

I plugged in the speakers to the audio jack on their PC but no sound was produced(yes they were on, yes they do work I tested them on mine, yes volume was up high). This has happened before in that the last speaker set they had which used the audio jack didn't work, but they assumed the speakers were broken. They are using USB speakers, little cheap ones, which do work..well they don't know but this will be discussed below.

I was advised to try updating the driver for the x-fi has a new driver was released this year which helped the card support vista better. I uninstalled the old drivers and so the computer couldn't find the x-fi card. I downloaded the latest drivers and tried installing them, it wasn't finding the sound card at all so it wouldn;t work, i discovered i had downloaded the drivers for the xtreme sound rather then music so i rectified this and got the latest music ones. At first it kept saying an older version of creative sound control centre(or something like that) existed on the pc and it wanted to uninstall it and update to a new one. I accepted that but it kept hanging so i went and removed all traces of the old control centre and tried again, still hung. Shut comp down and this time it didn't hang and completed, the sound card has been found again and the sound icon in the bottom right taskbar no longer has an X on it.

However this hasn't fixed the fact the speakers using the audio jack don't work and to make matters worse now the USB ones wont work... so no sound at all.

Ok I just made the USB ones work by disabling something called SPDIF out( creative x-fi) in the sound playback device area. Still I can't make the audio jack ones work...

i'll go see but i assume so, it was custom built for my friend so i'm not certain, brb.

EDIT: it is and i assume onboardhas been disabled as when i removed the x-fi drivers and device it didn't automatically use it's onboard and it isn't an option to set onboard has the sound device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom