8800GT 512 Overheating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twizted_3kgt

Daemon Poster
I'm at a loss here. Lately my 8800GT has been hitting temps of ~110*C when playing some games.

Fan is always running 100%.

I removed the overclock I put on it.

I removed the cover to clear out dust build-up, and there was hardly any. When I put it back together I replaced the "stick-on" thermal pads with AS5.

Temps are still getting up there, and when they do, it makes the games run choppy (or like a yo-yo effect)

A while ago temps wouldn't go much above 70*C under full load.

Am I missing something? Card just burned out maybe?

You are not supposed to use AS5 on the vrams, those pads are thick to make proper contact.

The stock cooler is garbage, so i replaced it with the akimbo cooler and temps stay under 60C with 50% fan load.

You are not supposed to use AS5 on the vrams, those pads are thick to make proper contact.

The stock cooler is garbage, so i replaced it with the akimbo cooler and temps stay under 60C with 50% fan load.

I just took it apart again and noticed that. :(

I put it on a little bit thicker, and spread it around since it didn't contact tight and spread itself around. Seems to be idling 20*C cooler now, about to check under load.

Ok just tested for almost an hour under the same load that was pushing it to 110*C in just 5 minutes, never went above 90*C. And more importantly, no choppy gameplay. Now to re-overclock it and see my temps.

edit: overclocked stays under 95*C now. Good enough for me, so long as it doesn't cause any performance problems.

If it overheats again, i'll just upgrade I think.

This is about right for at least some 8800 GT's. I've noticed this with mine during some games, I think the stock cooler is to blame.

why do you think i switched out my stock coolers and grabbed a pair of akimbos??

dual slot + larger fan = awesome cooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom