Opinions on this Desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not terrible, but if you build your own computer, which is easy and highly recommended, you'll get WAY better performance. If you're willing to put a computer together yourself, we'd be glad to help you through the process.

It's actually not a bad system for the price. Building your own would be better for a few reasons. If something goes wrong, you know how to fix it, since you BUILT it. You KNOW the parts that are in, and not some knock off, or cheap PSU, etc... but I will say this, if you need to get everything, (I.E.) keyboard, monitor, mouse, OS,etc... it will be more expensive to build the first time. But once you have those items then it's not so bad.

Hey Skiller. Yes, the guys here can get you a sweet pc, if you are willing to build yourself. It is really not hard at all and the bang you get for your buck is just amazing.

If you post your budget....help will soon be on its way....the pc you listed is not a bad pc.....it is just that you could get much more for the money.

Newegg also has a 1 year warranty on it :p

I looked into building my own...With basically the same parts in this tower...it came to $829, without an operating system, which is $100 for Vista 64. The only things I'm not sure about are the manufacturers for the PSU and Memory. The Mobo, CPU, GPU are all very reputable in the link I posted.

I'd like to keep my budget around $1,000 including the monitor (which is $170) and keyboard. This one comes with a keyboard and it's $850 + $170 = $1,020, which I'm willing to spend.

But I'm open to suggestions about building my own.

If this budget isn't reasonable maybe $1,000 at the very MAX for the Tower :p

Thanks guys! :)

While Asus makes good products, that motherboard is very outdated, and Phenom processors are not worth it at this point in time. Intel is currently the better choice.

I just looked into it, and for 830 bucks (after 80 bucks of mail in rebates), you can get a computer with a much better motherboard, that has more options and expandability for the future, a processor that will be much stronger for gaming (Intel Core 2 Duo E8500), a Sapphire HD 4870 graphics card, the same case, a PC Power & Cooling (Top of the line brand) 610w power supply, Samsung DVD Burner, Seagate 500gb hard drive with 32 mb cache (very fast), and 4 gb of nice G.Skill RAM.

You get what you're paying for. The reason that pre built computer seems like a good deal is because you're looking at the obvious specs. People see "Phenom processor, HD 4850, 4 gigs ram, 500gb hard drive, Asus motherboard". But what they don't know is that it's a low end Phenom CPU, a very outdated Asus motherboard that has little to no room for future upgrades, 4 gb of possibly no-name brand RAM, a 500gb hard drive that is likely old technology and slow, and a stock power supply that could give out after 2 months. And if you do any upgrading, such as changing a part, it could void the warranty they give you. Not to mention that iBuyPower computers have HORRIBLE wiring jobs. Also, they won't include a copy of Vista, they'll probably just preinstall it, which is VERY annoying if you have to reinstall your OS in the future.

So you can learn a new skill, and get top quality parts that will last for years to come and will allow you to stay up to date with technology, or you can take the easy road and spend 200 bucks over what you should've for some old technology that you'll be upset with in a year or 2.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 16X DVD+R DL 22X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD Burner - CD / DVD Burners

Newegg.com - NZXT Guardian 921 CS-NT-GD921-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
(Or better ones: Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases , Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER RC-690-KKN1-GP Black SECC/ ABS ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129021&Tpk=Antec Nine)

Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST3500320AS 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100259L Radeon HD 4870 512MB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling S61EPS 610W Continuous @ 40°C EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Newegg.com - BIOSTAR TForce TP45HP LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom