adding a third hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

therascalking

Devious Techie
hey all,

for christmas, i got a new Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB hard drive... and im trying to install it in my rig, but it wont work!
oddest thing... my BIOS recognizes its there and lists it with my other two hard drives... heck, even my Speedfan utility says its there... so its not DOA (i think)... but for some reason, it doesnt show up in 'My Computer'... and i cant access it in any way...

advice? help? please? haha thanks!
if you need any more details to help, just ask... specs in my sig :D - RK

right click on my computer > disk management, and from there you enable it, and then format it i think

i gave up for the night, but ill for sure try that in the morning, thanks :D

anyone else have ideas? is there anything i need to do in BIOS, or...?

thanks, guys... keep the help coming! :] - RK

right click on my computer > disk management, and from there you enable it, and then format it i think

Forgot a step :p.

Start > Right click 'My Computer' > Manage... > Disk management > find the drive in the list > right click it and pick format. Do a full format since its a new drive.

Forgot a step :p.

Start > Right click 'My Computer' > Manage... > Disk management > find the drive in the list > right click it and pick format. Do a full format since its a new drive.

You also need to set the drive as active prior to format. You will see the drive as inactive. right mouse click on the drive in the lower section and select mark partition as active.

You also need to set the drive as active prior to format. You will see the drive as inactive. right mouse click on the drive in the lower section and select mark partition as active.

I've only had to do that like once before, all the other times it was already set as active for me.

great, thanks guys! i actually have two of the new Caviar Blacks, one for me and one to go in the christmas build im doing for my brother... and it looks like one of them is working fine (its formatting now! 500GB might take a while tho XP), while the other one isnt being recognized atall... so i believe its DOA... thanks for getting me this far tho, guys! i appreciate it! oh and merry christmas/happy holidays to all! :D - RK

Is it recognized in BIOS?

And no problem, merry Christmas to you as well :).

doesnt appear to be... but ive only tried it using an external enclosure i have that has an eSATA hookup... ill try actually cracking my case open and plugging it in direct later and post back... thanks tho :] - RK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom