Installing a hard drive after my old one died.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NickJames

Beta member
Ok, i've searched the internet the past few days trying to find the answer to my problem but to no avail. So i must post specifically what my issue is and hopefully somebody can help me.

Ok, A friend of mine built me a comp a few months back, and 2 weeks later my hard drive died - nothing to do with my friend, the hard drive was junk - So i got a new hd - seagate sata 500g. So i get home take the old hard drive out - just to be clear when i try and boot with the old hard drive once i get past the windows loading screen i get the blue screen and it shuts down. No matter what i try i can't seem to fix that. So now i have the new hd...

I get the hd installed, put my windows disc in i get a black screen with an error "could not boot media, please insert boot media press any key to continue" something along those lines.

And for the record i have my cd rom as the first boot device and have tried both disabling the hd, unplugging it, and adding it as the 2nd boot device all dont work.

Just to note im using a legit burnt copy of windows xp from a friend and i don't know if the boot sector of the disc may be wrong - Maybe i need a boot cd of some kind?

Any help would be wonderful..

Get another copy of xp to try. I am assuming you have a legitimate key so using another disk would be fine. You can also try another boot disk just to check if the cd is the problem. You could also try the disk in another computer to see if it will boot on that one. Do not install xp on that computer just see if it will boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom