Computer Will Not Display Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paranoidx

Beta member
This is a compaq with shared video.
The computer will turn on and show the compaq splash screen, but then just goes black. Monitor power indicator still stays green.

I was able to boot a diagnostics CD. The display worked fine during this. Ran test and it showed no hardware errors.
I tried to boot a windows xp installation disk and it again gave me no display after the "setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration" screen.

Tried a pci video card and got exactly the same problems.
Any ideas? :confused:

When trying the pci card did you disable the onboard first? You have to go right into the bios setup to change the default display adapter from onboard to pci.

The onboard chip and card are not the problem display wise however. It sounds more like a corruption of display drivers or Windows is simply failing to load due to another problem. Which model CompaQ is that?

This doesn't sound like a display issue, this sounds like something is messed up with some of your other hardware. So all it does is show the splash, then go black? It doesn't loop or anything?

If it loops, it's probably your hard drive screwing up. Anything else, it's hard to say. Could be something wrong with the mobo, could be some other malfunctioning part...hard to narrow down without more info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom