Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlickVic107

Baseband Member
Ok so i have an older computer that i put together with a friend who new a lot more about it than i did. I have moved since then and can't get in touch with him. I was given another computer that the Hard Drive was shot. Without looking i bought a new HD. Booted it up and it only showed 256 mb ram. So i started looking, it has RIMM style ram. Well can't buy that anywhere..haven't found anywhere anyway..so im thinking about combining both of the computers. Original computer is:

Biostar M7VIG 400 rev 7.3
AMD 1.8 ghz i believe socket 462
512 SDRam
video,sound,etc all on board. Only added card is wirless nic card.

Computer given to me
Gateway E series LX3 E6000 p04
Nvidia GeForce2 MX200 AGP Video Card 32MB 6002262
socket: mPGA478B

I know this is old stuff, and it used only for home pc for some small computer work.
What should i combine?
Nvidia on biostart board, or do i buy a new board to run the gateway processor which i believe is a 2.6 ghz..? Just need some direction. Thanks.

Eh, they're both a bit about the same, though the Gateway may have an edge with the CPU. Do you know how much RAM it has? Or what CPU?

Ack, dude, RIMM RAM? Maybe the Athlon would be a better machine in that case. The 512 definitely gives it a bit of an edge...any idea what processor is in the gateway though?

Yeah tell me about it..i priced rimm ram..only place is 80$ for 128 stick...

Any ideas for a cheap but reliable motherboard/process/ram setup for me?

How about the onboard video vs the Nvidia??

It really depends...are you just looking for a general use machine?

If you want reliable, it's hard to be cheap, but decently inexpensive stuff would be something like...

Newegg.com - XFX MG63Mi7159 LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7150 / nForce 630i HDMI Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 Wolfdale 2.66GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory

Up-front cost for these would be $258.97. The reason I picked that RAM is because it has great timings, and a $45 mail-in rebate. So 14 bucks for 2gb of CAS 4 ram, awesome. That mobo also has onboard video, it would suit your everyday needs.

Is that too much, or are you looking for something else?

Actually that all sounds good. And with a little bios work it looks like i can OC the cpu just a touch to get a little more out of it with out hurting anything.

If you have more of a budget, I would recommend upgrading the processor a bit though, if you can go to an E-8 series, that would be a pretty smokin' machine.

I just went with your first picks, hopefully everything will work. I'll use the orig. case and power supply. I also have a brand new 250gb HD, but i'll be adding an older 80 gb so i won't lose any of my files. The only thing it will be missing is a DVDRW but thats no big deal as i have yet to burn a DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom