Another 1st Time Builder LF Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great input, I appreciate all the responses! I'm glad I have no bias towards nvidia/ati because the suggestions lead me to research the GTX 260 that I was planning to upgrade to in the future, which apparently people are having a problem with in WoW. I made changes to the following:

Mobo - ASUS P5Q Pro LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Mobo
Video Card - ASUS EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported
CPU Cooler - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler

I'll probably switch the video card up to a 4870 in the future, and the Corsair 750TX PSU should handle crossfire between two 4870s, or so ATI CrossFireX Certified Components suggests. I considered tweaking some products up to try to get a quad core to build a more "future-proof" comp, but I was curious as to how some of you guys feel. Better to stick with dual core while it's performing well with current gaming and make a switch to quad core when prices change/a better product comes out/more games utilize it? Or run with a quad core now and overclock it to close the margin a bit (assuming dual core is OC'd too)? Looking forward to more feedback, thanks.

if you want to upgrade to a 4870, DO IT NOW!! dont wait, because soon there'll be newer, better GPUs... and grab a quad core for sure... in under a year, most games will utilise at least 4 cores as more and more games adapt to take full advantage of i7's multi threading

also, grab a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, it will help you OC far better than the ACF 7

if you want to upgrade to a 4870, DO IT NOW!! dont wait, because soon there'll be newer, better GPUs... and grab a quad core for sure... in under a year, most games will utilise at least 4 cores as more and more games adapt to take full advantage of i7's multi threading

also, grab a Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer, it will help you OC far better than the ACF 7

That's the worst advice I've ever heard. Get a GPU now because very soon it won't be the best anymore!! So at least you can be the best or a few more weeks!!!

Why not just wait for the newer, better GPUS... or wait for the new GPUS to come out and get the older gpus to fall in price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom