Computer shutdown in game please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

igame

Baseband Member
Hi guys, my computer shutsoff every once in a while, while playing L4d. It completely turns off then restarts. I tested another graphics card and the problem still happened. I ran windows memory tests and it reported no problems. My temps are stable the highest I've recorded graphics card temperatures was 65C. The highest I've seen the cpu core temp using everest was 51C.

The computer specs are as follows. gigabyte ep35ds3l, 9800gt, e8500, mushkin ddr2 800mhz (2+2) 4gb, and the powersupply is antec neopower 500w

It has happened while playing WOW as well. This problem ONLY happens INGAME. which is a major problem for me (can you tell by my username?)

Please help.:(

Only 51C?! The protection circuit or Windows crash control feature could be why the system is seeing restarts. The second would likely the result of some driver or software clash of some type since you ran tests on the memory already.

Another problem you may facing if you ocing at all would be the supply not seeing enough amps on the rails. The Neopower line isn't actually Antec's best either for anything like that.

Thanks for your input eyecpc. I have not or do not plan to over clock. Im guessing i should start with trying a different power supply?

And when you say only 51 C!!! is that a bad thing or a good thing?

zalman aftermarket heatsink. I placed about a half inch line of AS5 between the cpu and heatsink and did 2 twists, and did not remove the aftermarket cooler after placing it down firmly.

With a Zalman on you should be seeing a low ide temp unless the case lacks a good amount of air flow. Running stock you wouldn't have to rush into any other supply but consider on if you start adding on extra items like more drives, a large video card where the demand for power would be increased.

With a lower threshold on the newer cpus the overheat protection circuit for each board may vary as far as what the board sees as hot. Usually that would see the system simply shutoff rather then restart however to protect the cpu and board from any damage.

Most restarts in the middle of gaming session trigger the autoboot if program crashs type setting seen if you are running XP. Changing the "1" to "0" would allow a blue screen or memory dump with more information. If you have XP on there the MS page on this is seen at Windows XP Shut Down and Automatic Reboot Problems

Like eyeCpc said, disable automatic system restart (same way in Vista as it is in XP pretty much), by following the link he gave. If you do get a BSOD, let us know the STOP error code (will be formatted as such: 0x000000##, where ## = some alpha-numeric combination), and the words in all caps at the top (e.g. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL), and if there are any drivers noted (e.g. nv4disp).

Let us know if there are any BSOD's when you try to game again. You can also check to see if there are any minidump files in the following directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

system idle temp right now is 43C on processor. 45 on graphics card. I just shut off automatic system restart on program failure. Restarting now and will be back thank you.

it's a bit warmer then my idle although maybe those dual cores are hotter then the Q6600, my four cores are at 36-37c.

i disabled automatic system restart. temperatures at 44C processor and 51C on graphics card after error restart in game. And i did not receive a blue screen with more information.

Found an error in event Viewer.

it says Audit failure.
Windows Firewall was unable to notify the user that it blocked an application from accepting incoming connections on the network.

Error Code: 2

And also
Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid. The file could be corrupt due to unauthorized modification or the invalid hash could indicate a potential disk device error. Task catergory: system integrity Event id: 5038

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom