PC Power problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. LL

In Runtime
Where I work someone had a PC caseopen, it was off but plugged in. when they tochedthe metal fram in the case it sort of sputter like it was about to turn on and then it stopped. Now the PC won't power on at all, we even tried another PSU, cleared the CMOS, unplugged everything but the MOBO connector and it won't power on at all now.

Another thing they noticed is before when you plugged in the power cord it would act like it was going to turn on and then shut off, you could then turn it on like normal.

What do you think is the deal with this PC, I am thinking there is a short of some sort in it.

Whoever had that case open should have unplugged the cord altogether if workiing on it. If they were just looking inside then they needed to be very careful on touching things - mobos and CPUs, etc are sensitive to static charges. Thought it might be the CPU took a hit maybe. But if it is powering up then obviously not.

A PC should be unplugged when working inside. What were they doing, only looking ? That's ok, but if they were working in there it should be unplugged. There is a constant 5 V charge to the mobo on ATX mobos, unless unplugged entirely.

Whoever had that case open should have unplugged the cord altogether if workiing on it. If they were just looking inside then they needed to be very careful on touching things - mobos and CPUs, etc are sensitive to static charges. Thought it might be the CPU took a hit maybe. But if it is powering up then obviously not.

A PC should be unplugged when working inside. What were they doing, only looking ? That's ok, but if they were working in there it should be unplugged. There is a constant 5 V charge to the mobo on ATX mobos, unless unplugged entirely.

Some of the parts had been previously replaced but the system was unplugged, when this recent problem happened nothing on the inside was touched other than the metal fram eon the case as far as I know. The side panel was off on the PC.

Oh ok. That's good, should be unplugged so nothing gets zapped. Well like Philbar71 says, sounds like a short then.

Well, we tried taking the mobo out of the case, placed it on a anti static bag, took everything out but the CPU, RAM, PSU mobo connector, and power button connector and it was dead as a door nail (how dead exactly does a door nail get anyways?)

So I guess it is a fried mother board, yaay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom