Not open for further replies.

Alexinator

In Runtime
ASUS Striker Extreme 680i
E6600 (Stock speed)
ASUS 8800GTX (Stock speeds)
G.Skill 2GB RAM (Stock)
Two raptors in RAID 0

This computer ran extremely well in it's day. One day I went to turn it on and nothing happened. Would not boot past "RAMCHK". I tried swapping the RAM around, making sure to try every possible combination of each stick in each slot, using one or both. Nothing. So I gave up for a few months.

One day I went back to it, installed an air cooler for the time being just to see if I could get it to boot. It does! With nothing changed, it suddenly decides to boot.

So I'm all excited that my desktop is running again. So of course I have to load up Crysis since I havn't played in forever and BAM! 5 minutes in, the screen goes black. I can still hear the background noise but I can;t make any noises myself (ex. shooting runs, running or anything) so there's no input. After about 5 seconds of the black screen the background noise will suddenly go into a 1 sec loop, just plays the same second over and over again, then it will crash completely. Then you'll hear the post beep and it will boot like nothing ever happened!

I can;t quite figure out what's wrong with it. Help!

Did you get a minidump file (c:\windows\minidump)? Can always try disabling automatic system restart on system failure and see if you get a BSOD.

Also, since you said it wasn't getting passed the RAMCHK part before, you may want to try running Memtest86+ for at least 4 hours to check your RAM. If any errors are found, then your RAM is bad.

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom