First Computer Build: Newb Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

djc122984

Solid State Member
Everyone,

I have been reading for the past few hours on different components I need to build my system. I would like some advice as to where I need to start in regards to my components. I think it will be easier to start this build with me explaining how I am going to use this computer. The main thing I will be using this computer for is trading currency on the FOREX exchange. I would like a computer that will be able to keep up with the fast demand of this type of trading. I also multitask alot. It isn't uncommon for me to have three or four programs opened at the same time. I will also want to run two monitors (not sure if this plays into the specs--maybe the video card). I would like to be able to play games on it but that isn't the main focus of this build. The main focus is multitasking and day trading.

Heres is what I have so far:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: not sure yet
RAM: at least 4GB
Video Card: not sure yet
Hard Drive: at least 500gb 7200rpm
Optical Drive: CD/DVD RW
Power Supply: not sure yet
Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
Speakers: LOGITECH THX Z-2300 3PC SPEAKER
Monitor: at least 19in 5M/S high contrast
Mouse: haven't decided
Keyboard: haven't decided
Operating System: Vista Home 64 bit or Ultimate

As you can see I am looking for some advice as to what parts I need in relation to what I am trying to build. I don't want to build an ultimate gaming machine but I also don't want to build something that is outdated. This is my first build by myself. I built one with one of my buddy's about two years ago in college. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance.

What would these 3 or 4 programs open always be? running multi monitors doesn't really matter tbh.
Budget?

From what yu have posted I can say;
cpu: Q6600 is old get a Q9300 or Q9450 if you wantquad but many programs don't utilise all cores so can't say whether you need it until you say what programs they are that are always open.

Harddrive- get one for storage and one for the os
Case: good case if you like that style I personally prefer the lian li offereigs not so bling
speakers: good pc speakers
OS: get home premium ultimate isn't worth the extra cost and get an OEM cd

What would these 3 or 4 programs open always be? running multi monitors doesn't really matter tbh.
Budget?

Itunes, Firefox, interbank fx exchange, usually messenger or Livewire

From what yu have posted I can say;
cpu: Q6600 is old get a Q9300 or Q9450 if you wantquad but many programs don't utilise all cores so can't say whether you need it until you say what programs they are that are always open.

alright.

Harddrive- get one for storage and one for the os
Case: good case if you like that style I personally prefer the lian li offereigs not so bling
speakers: good pc speakers
OS: get home premium ultimate isn't worth the extra cost and get an OEM cd

Ok so I will probably need two 500gb HDD then. Any preference?

Yea I like that case. I liked the 900 my buddy used a few years ago in college.

Yea I was thinking ultimate might be out there. I don't think I would use the extra features. Thanks for the response.

Looking at standing under 1200 for everything including the monitor.

Well if you are just using a hard drive for the OS, I doubt it should be anywhere near 500 GB. What I've done in the past is get a small 10,000 rpm drive; it makes Windows Vista restart and get back to the desktop in about 50 seconds.

^^ A good 7200 rpm hard drive like the Western Digital 640gb is as fast as one of the 10K rpm Raptors and has a lot more storage space.

^^ A good 7200 rpm hard drive like the Western Digital 640gb is as fast as one of the 10K rpm Raptors and has a lot more storage space.

I've tested this, and it didn't hold to be true for me, at least in regards to what I did. Also, if he's just using it to boot the OS up really fast, he doesn't need to have the storage space.

That SDD would give me a great amount of speed just for my O/S. Why would I want to go with that compared to a smaller HDD at 10,000rpm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom