Upgrade or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beedubaya

Golden Master
So I got my X800 Pro fixed temporarily, but I am only running it at stock speeds. This means I am back to the days of tremendous lag in Doom 3 and Far Cry when I enable AA or AF, or turn up the resolution. I can't fully enjoy either of those games because I am constantly tweaking the graphics settings to try to get a decent framerate without sacrificing too much quality. I am getting fed up with it. Every game that i've tried to play since I've got this card has had lag problems (FarCry, Doom 3, Painkiller.) UT2004 usually runs okay, and Quake III games run fine. I will be getting some money within the next few months and I was wondering if it would be better for me to upgrade to the 6800GT or Ultra, or wait for Nvidia's next generation card. When is Nvidia's next generation comming out? I am planning on upgrading then selling my X800 Pro on ebay, because this is just unacceptable. I know you all probably get tired of me bashing ATI and the X800, but I paid for a high-end card and it ticks me off that I am getting such cruddy performance, especially since I could have gotten state-of-the-art performance for the same price. If Doom 3 chokes this up so much, I don't want to even imagine how newer games will run that use enhanced versions of the Doom 3 engine. Anyways, should I upgrade or wait?

I say upgrade but then again I don't like ATI. I know for a fact you'll hear agex000's post shortly after mine :p But yeah, I've heard nothin but crap about the X800 and they got too many 'fixes' and now a catalyst control center for overclocking (suppose you could try that) thats supposed to be the best VGA manipulating program. But yeah man I played painkiller flawlessly on my current system with 256mb of RAM but at the time had my FX 5700 card...smooth sailing on all high settings...so that X800 I'd expect flawlessness out of that on Far Cry atleast I can understand maybe doom3, but 6800 cut through far cry 1600xwhatever the hell AA and AF top and ran perfect. I would get rid of that ATI = Another Troublesome Innovation

Agex000 is a die hard ATI fan. Its people like him who keep that company in business when they release crap like the X800 Pro. The problem is that I WASTED $400 on this ****! GameGURU, who has the 6800GT, paid the same that I paid for my card and gets 60fps minimum on Far Cry, with all graphics on high, full AA and AF. I get around 10 fps minimum, around 35 average, with 2AA, no AF. Before this, I had a GeForce 4 MX 440 card. Basically, what ran smoothly on my GeForce 4 MX card runs smoothly on this. Everything else sucks.

Yeah thats my thoughts. Screw ATI.. Nvidia is the bomb and XBox 2 is gonna feature ATI......sooooo fuxor the Xbox too!

I was reading on another forum, and I'm not the only person having trouble with the X800. Other people are seeing framerate in the teens in FarCry too. I am not rich, so $400 is a big deal to me. Why would ATI charge so much for such crap?

Yeah I'm not rich either my friend =/ And I've had to pay through experience most of the time on what stuff to buy and what things not to buy and so forth. That's why I've been telling people to go with the 6800. I haven't heard as many complaints...well none really....none that were due to the card being an issue anyway

im not an ATi hater, but i recon that the X800 series is more trouble than its worth, like beedubaya said, GameGuru bought the 6800GT for the same price, and it runs stuff heaps better. For the to of the range cards, go Nvidia, but for the mid-low end cards, ATi. With all of these problems with the new ATi cards, i wonder how the new RV520 is going to compare... :confused: i cant wait to see the next line of cards from Nvidia and ATi, they're gonna be awesome :D

beedubaya said:
I was reading on another forum, and I'm not the only person having trouble with the X800. Other people are seeing framerate in the teens in FarCry too. I am not rich, so $400 is a big deal to me. Why would ATI charge so much for such crap?

ATI always charge more than it's worth for Down-graded cards. Remember the Sucky Editions?

Yeah I've heard that the ATI equivelants of the FX series...I guess it's like 9600 and 9800's in ATI? No clue have NEVER bought ATI. So yeah anyway I had a chaintech GeforceFX 5700 256mb card...thing kicked ass! Could run most games on high settings..never got to try far cry on it though cause I didn't have enough RAM =/. But yeah two months after getting the card it burns out or something =/ just returned it to chaintech last week. Hope they send another

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom