possibly building this computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
you guys should ask an important question before hollering "BOTTLENECK!!!"...like, "what resolution will your monitor be?"
1920 x 1200 with 4-8AA, a 6000 aint gonna bottleneck. a 5000BE overclocked probably wouldnt.

i agree, the killer nic is a ridiculous ploy. you're best bet is to pick a server close to you heh heh.

well first off he hasn't shown up yet to ask him, secondly to be fair both my 5000BE and 5600+ OC'd to respective 3.3GHz and 3.2Ghz bottleneck my 9800 GT by 4-5 frames average in most games and during intensive action (especially Crysis) has quite a few stutters and frames drop the the low teens at best.
I do not run anything else in background while playing and I know I'm bottlenecked because I used my card in my friends E8500 for the **** of it and did notice a good increase of playability at the same settings and drivers(newest). And for the record my Crysis settings are 1400*900 med/high settings no AA no AF and still getting a bottle neck.

really all the 6000 has as a leg up on my CPUs is another 1 mb of cache and a higher TDP to boot. And having said that an intel set up is only gonna run a litle bit more $ and perform alot better.

I'm not trying to pick or start anything at all just stating that and either A. I don't know what's going on and my system has an issue or B. most AMD CPU's just aren't cut out for a GTX280 :p

WOW,

Very happy I brought this stuff to you guys, haha thank you!

As guessed by the first reply... Yes I'm going to use this for gaming. (not runescaping it up in gay land)

What exactly is the i7 build? Honestly I'm in Iraq right now and I'm going to be putting anywhere around 2k into this when I get back sometime around april/may.

WOW,

Very happy I brought this stuff to you guys, haha thank you!

As guessed by the first reply... Yes I'm going to use this for gaming. (not runescaping it up in gay land)

What exactly is the i7 build? Honestly I'm in Iraq right now and I'm going to be putting anywhere around 2k into this when I get back sometime around april/may.

First of all, I resent that runescape comment :p

Secondly, an i7 build is intel's newest architecture (better than the core 2 duo's and are 4 cores standard). If your budget is anywhere near that high, there's no reason not to go i7.

haha I played runescape too, if it makes you feel any better I got sucked into a much worse game... Tibia. I'll definitely be looking into this i7 build alot more.

I guess I mainly just need to look into how compatible everything is that I pick out next go around.

You can grab the i7 920 off Newegg for about $300 bucks, and it's well worth it. It even outperforms the QX9770 in some tests for a fraction of the cost. Make sure to take advantage of the triple channel memory compatibility. Remember that the i7 series uses the 1366 chipset, so get the right mobo. Asus makes some good ones...a bit expensive, but some of the best.

nix the network card, as it's been said, it's really a big gimmick. You may want to look into getting a bigger PSU, especially with the GTX280 and the dual 1.5tb HDDs. Good pick with those, by the way.

OCZ is a good brand for memory, but the i7 will require DDR3, so check out OCZ's stuff, they have some triple channel ready sets. Corsair is also a really good brand to look into, though a bit more expensive.

Good job on putting the parts together for your first build though. Kudos.

Thank you for all the advice, it really is helping alot! I'll be working on setting up a second build (this time with the i7) and I'll post it back up here when I'm done.

Thanks again!!!!

I do not run anything else in background while playing and I know I'm bottlenecked because I used my card in my friends E8500 for the **** of it and did notice a good increase of playability at the same settings and drivers(newest). And for the record my Crysis settings are 1400*900 med/high settings no AA no AF and still getting a bottle neck.
thats exactly my point. 14x9 with no AA/AF aint the same as 19x12 with full on AA. it not anything near as taxing on the gpu, so yes...you are going to have a bottleneck at those settings. the gpu is processing information faster than the AMD chips are capable of using it (hence the term "bottleneck" ie lots of flow into a small opening, slowing the flow :p). bottlenecks are much over-hyped and are ABSOLUTELY dependent on several other factors which are just as important as cpu and card combination.

I'm not trying to pick or start anything at all just stating that and either A. I don't know what's going on and my system has an issue or B. most AMD CPU's just aren't cut out for a GTX280 :p
A. there's nothing going on with it, set the settings higher in both systems and you will notice the performance converge. the 8500 will of course perform better at those settings...its a faster cpu. but once you load the gpu, you aren't going to see a significant difference.
B. totally false. it fully depends on your monitor size and in-game settings. and games of course.

i assure you i could put my 4870 into my folding rig, oc the 3600 to 3.2 or 3.3 and, using my 24" monitor with all my settings the same get virtually the same performance as i would with my current set-up. but if i put it on my wicked awesome benq 19" 1280 x 1024...and turned off AA (probably wouldnt even have to do that) there would be a MASSIVE difference.

to do with the build for the OP, the i7 looks like a winner.

So pretty much, to make my build work out good and be awesome, I need to grab the i7, a better mobo that will work it good, and some campatible ram that will run with the i7?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom