Need PC3200 RAM to Overclock good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying_Vortex

Baseband Member
Do you need PC3200 Ram to overclock good.. as i was going to buy a PC2100 Ram.. but have been told since i am going to overclock i am better off to get PC3200.. Is this true?

You'll get much higher frequencies out the PC3200. Just make sure your memory has heatsinks or some kind of cooling device.

Yeah you definitely don't want to be trying to overclock with PC2100 RAM. Once your FSB of your computer starts running past 133MHz, you're overclocking that PC2100 ram. Where as PC3200 RAM isn't at its normal rate until your FSB is at 200 so then you'd have a 1:1 ratio as far as speed went. In otherwords both the CPU and memory would be talking to each other at the same speeds.

well what kind of processor do you have? It has 266FSB then you'd be better with PC2700

I have a AMD Athlon XP 2500+... So if i get a another PC2100 256mb RAM so then i would have 512mb RAM PC2100.... So that would be good enough for gaming?

If you are planning on doing some intense gaming, then no. PC3200 is even getting slow.

But PC2100 will do you fine as long as you have a decent amount, and a good video card.

I see everyones just confusing u so basically look at it this way.

RAM is the same as CPU's, graphics cards etc in the sence that the better one will perform better. It's as simple as that.

PC2100 is FINE for gaming but PC2700 is better and PC3200 is better again.
In the same way ur XP2500 is FINE for gaming but a XP3000 is better and a 643200 is better still.

Do u see what i mean?

Now i assume ur going to overclock ur CPU? If so, and as mentioned in a previous post above, u'll want some PC3200 ram BUT (and it's a big BUT) I wouldnt bother!

Yep u heard me right! Ur system is being let down NOT by ur CPU or RAM but by ur Graphics card so instead of messing round overclocking/buying more RAM i would just buy a new graphics card!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom