40 dollar Staples "insurance" worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayce

Fully Optimized
I just bought a new monitor at staples on sale. 24 inch 1080p widescreen Dell monitor. It retails for 349 or 359 or something like that, I caught it on sale for 279, so the price for insurance on it dropped too.

I have a week to decide if I want it. It's 40 bucks for 2 years.

They said anything that is "fixable" on the monitor they'll fix infinitly in a 2 year span. However, if the actual monitor is like... DEAD... and they need to give me a new one, they'll do that, but only once.

Dead pixels, back lights, you name it, it's covered. But like I said, only once if they replace the entire screen. Which, even if they replace it, it's still 40 bucks for a new 24"...

I've only ever bought insurance once, and it was from Staples, and sure enough I used it. It was for a digital camera for accidental insurance. I was so happy I had it, but, GAHH... it's Christmas! I'm broke!

Is it worth it fellas?

Oh? I thought the Dell coverage was 1 yr? And even still I wonder if Dell would bother with dead pixels unless I got like 12 of them...

it varies dependign on the provider lg is 3 years not sure about dell. i never buy an extended warranties. what i would do if i was you is look up common problems with the monitor if any at all and see if you can rma it to dell lif it does occur.

I didn't see any common problems, but I think my monitor itself is a newer model... not something that's been out for a few years or anything.

So far I've read great reviews though. *shrug*

Well it is a number game. The expected failure rate of an lcd is less than 3% (that is over its entire life not just the first 3 years). For a $300 monitor the expected replacement cost for an insurance company is $9 per monitor (actually is is $6 if the first year is covered by Dell). At $40 you are paying 6 times the expected replacement value. So do you want to pay $40 for a 3% chance of failure or do you want to save that money and have it to buy a new monitor if yours dies. And remember the first year is covered by Dell for free.

Well it is a number game. The expected failure rate of an lcd is less than 3% (that is over its entire life not just the first 3 years). For a $300 monitor the expected replacement cost for an insurance company is $9 per monitor (actually is is $6 if the first year is covered by Dell). At $40 you are paying 6 times the expected replacement value. So do you want to pay $40 for a 3% chance of failure or do you want to save that money and have it to buy a new monitor if yours dies. And remember the first year is covered by Dell for free.

D: D: D:

He used a lot of big words and numbers, so it must be true!!! :D

I wouldn't bother with it at all. Though I dislike Dell, they make excellent monitors, and their products last a very long time.

I wouldn't bother with it at all. Though I dislike Dell, they make excellent monitors, and their products last a very long time.

They just rebrand them :p. They use LG, Samsung, etc boards/displays and just put their logo on them.

They just rebrand them :p. They use LG, Samsung, etc boards/displays and just put their logo on them.

yep. from what i know dell uses the lower quality samsung panels. when i worked in the store every delll monitor we had had inferior coloru quality to any other monitor, it was similar to the acer in coloru atcually the nicest colour was lg, then samsung. alltho you wont notice this when you have it as you have no other monitors around to compare it to.

A lot of Dell monitors, the nicer ones anyways, I think have a 3-year warranty on them. I wouldn't really bother with the plan, it's a good quality panel (probably a Samsung or LG-made one) and I've never had one of those fail on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom