Applying my MX2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Balishang

Baseband Member
im not totally sure how i should apply the AC MX-2 on my cpu. On their website they say one drop right in the center but in the picture it looks HUGE.
http://www.arctic-cooling.com/downloads/installation/install_mx2_retail.pdf

Not sure if i should use this method but with a smaller bead, or if i should use the line method.

Also, I've got a quad so should applying it make a difference over dual cores?

Oh yeah, and am i supposed to let the paste dry or anything after the heatsink has been mounted?

The way I do it is I put some on the center of the chip like in the first pic. I then take a peice of cardboard, the kind like off a greeting card. Rip a small peice and I use that to spread the paste over the entire top of the chip. All you want to do is just lightly cover the chip with the paste.

First clean the surface by removing the old paste. Use rubbing alcohol to clean it and shine it up.
SSPX0145.jpg

Next put a dap of paste in the middle of the chip.
SSPX0146.jpg

Then spread it around and evenly coat the entire surface. You only need a thin amount.
SSPX0147.jpg

Last you just need to put the heatsink on and your good to go.
SSPX0148.jpg

Either method will work.

MX-2 is inert, so any excess will not cause a short. Even though it looks like a lot on their PDF, it will spread just fine. the twisting and seating of the heatsink will squeeze out what is not needed. I normally use this method, both with CPUs and GPUs.

IMO it seems like spreading it out with an edge seems superior than just putting a dot in the middle and twisting the heatsink. should i use that or the dot in the center method or does it not really matter? and do i need to give the paste some time to solidify before using the computer?

IMO it seems like spreading it out with an edge seems superior than just putting a dot in the middle and twisting the heatsink. should i use that or the dot in the center method or does it not really matter? and do i need to give the paste some time to solidify before using the computer?

Well it's whatever seems to work for you. But you want a thin, even coat of it across the entire surface. And you don't have to worry about waiting before using it, by the time you close up the computer and plug it in again and boot, it'll be set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom