New rig for the rents - would like your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd suggest a bit bigger drive. 80Gig isn't big anymore... My new lappy with office '03, 2 games, takes like 47Gigs with vista 64.

Maybe its Acers software, but still, for 20 or 30 bucks now might be a good investment.

I initially had a 160 GB, but I decided to save my parents the 6 dollars. They currently have a 40 GB and are barely pushing half of its capacity.

a whole 6 bucks..... The one thing i've found now adays, with space so chgeap, programmers have no need to write small, and programs are ballooning.

If youre keeping XP, than 80 will do, but 6 bucks for 160.. do it.

I had that mentality, but 6 bucks is 6 bucks and my parents really do next to nothing on the computer.

6 bucks to double the HDD space and you have to question it?

It's one thing if it's 20 bucks to get 40 gig more. It's another to add 6 bucks and double the space. Who knows, maybe your parents will magically grow to use the computer if they have a new one.

Get the 160.

No. With that mentality, I could justify spending 6 bucks on upgrades to most of these parts and end up exceeding $400.

Most importantly, a hard drive isn't a part that will see them any benefit based on the doubling of the space, unlike subtle upgrades to RAM, GPU, etc. They go on internet and play solitare, and my dad might end up playing some Diablo II or doom 3. All of this is also easily done on thier 5400 rpm, 40 GB hard drive.

And in the event that they need a bigger hard drive some day (it's not going to happen), adding a second hard drive to a computer is trivial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom