ati vs nvidia Stream Processors

Status
Not open for further replies.

tastegw

Inspired by Art
ok so the 4870 offers 800 Stream Processors
and the gtx 280 offers 240 Stream Processors

i believe its true that nvidia's Stream Processors are running faster than ati's

so why doesnt ati increase the speed on theirs since they seem to be able to fit 3x+ more of them on the card.

could nvidia fit more of these on their cards?

or is ati just using lesser quality Stream Processors than nvidia.

what i would love to see in the next generation of vid cards from nvidia is
gddr5 / 500+ Stream Processors / 1000+ core clock / 512-bit or higher Memory Interface (allready achieved) /

what i would love to see in the next generation of vid cards from ati is
gddr5 (allready achieved) / higher clocked stream processors / 1000+ core clock / 512-bit or higher memory interface

these specs are for single gpu cards.

it seems as tho nvidia and ati has each to its own, strengths and weaknesses.

your thoughts.

itsa heat issue i think. the 240 sp put ut more heat then those of the ati sp as they are clocked higher. also the sps on the nvidia card arent actualy called sp's technicaly they are unified processors. allows them to calculate more then imaging. the 512mb bit bus does help actually but its either you keep ddr3 and 512mb bus or you go 256mb bus and gddr5 its provides the same bandwith limit for bor both instances.

itsa heat issue i think. the 240 sp put ut more heat then those of the ati sp as they are clocked higher. also the sps on the nvidia card arent actualy called sp's technicaly they are unified processors. allows them to calculate more then imaging. the 512mb bit bus does help actually but its either you keep ddr3 and 512mb bus or you go 256mb bus and gddr5 its provides the same bandwith limit for bor both instances.

Ati's cards can also calculate more than imaging, the have CAL that is very similar to cuda.

so are you guys saying that both nvidia and ati are coming to a brick wall as far as advancements go.

Not really, I haven't seen much about nvidias next gen cards but the top r800 ati card is supposed to have something like 3200 stream processors.

It's just my opinion that the stuff they have now could have been out at least 10 years ago, maybe more. They just bring stuff out at this pace to allow game developers to keep up and so they can keep making money. Of course this isn't really based off of much, so I could be completely wrong.

It's just my opinion that the stuff they have now could have been out at least 10 years ago, maybe more. They just bring stuff out at this pace to allow game developers to keep up and so they can keep making money. Of course this isn't really based off of much, so I could be completely wrong.

actually that sounds more logical than you think.

Not really, I haven't seen much about nvidias next gen cards but the top r800 ati card is supposed to have something like 3200 stream processors.

id rather them have 1000 of nvidias sp's than 3200 of theirs.

yea if only nvidia did have that many sp's zomg imagine the heat lol. lol it would need soem sort of particled synthesiser too cool it and constantly create liquid nitrogen lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom