2500 1.83 vs 2600 2.08 vs 2600 266 2.13 vs 2600 2.13 333

Status
Not open for further replies.

alecjahn

Daemon Poster
as confusing as the title is, its quite self-explanitory.
http://www.buyaib.com/amdxpcpuoem.html

I'm finally buying a replacement for my blown 2100, and was originally going to get a 2500, but thought i'd look at 2600s also since theyre not much more.

why are there so many 2600s?
i know a 266 fsb one might be mobile... or a really old tbred technology of some sort...
then theres the same one but a different fsb... (333)
then theres a 333 but with a lower overall clock speed (which is actually cheaper than the 2500)

soo....

which one's the best?

I was sorta hopeing for a 2600, and thought the one with the lowest clock speed would probably be the best/newest because it would seem that a newer proc would have a lower clock than an older one....

sorry if this is confusing people, and that my conventions are bad... Im getting lazy... plus i just got home from school...

whatever.. any info you can give will probably help.
thanks in advance.

Hiya,

Very confusing i know but basically the Barton cpu's are 333 fsb and have 512k L2 cache.

The 266 fsb cpu's have the old T-bred core and have 256k L2 cache.

The slower clock speed 333 fsb 2600 u mention has the second gen T-bred core but still only has 256k L2 cache.

This means that the Barton XP2500 333 will outperform both T-bred XP2600's regardless of clock speeds.

Also games like L2 cache so the Barton XP's are a better gaming CPU.

If u go for a barton chip u'll want some pc2700 ram to get the most out if it.

I take it ur mainboard supports DDR333?

Hope this helps!

Yeah, it'll take 2 400 on duallie-mode.

Well theres mobile Bartons that are 266, but since that price isnt any more than the others, I conclude it must just be an old 2600, and not a mobile.

The thing I'm mostly concerned about is the acutal clock speed.

Like I stated earlier, I would think that a lower clock speed on the same proc rating (both "2600+") would mean its a newer processor where they did something different to get the clock down, and I would also assume I would have more headroom while overclocking on the lower of the two.

Does anyone own one of these 2600s that can give some input?

But anyways, I thought I should add - Is there any advantage to getting the 2500 1.83 over the 2600 2.08?

EDIT: btw, is that your MR2 on your avatar? I've always admired those from afar.

Hiya,

Sorry i reread ur first post and edited mine to answer ur 2 2600 333 cpus question!

Thanks 4 note on my car and yes it's an MR2 GT T-Bar Turbo:D

Oh and it's a Japanese import as we Brits Didn't get the Turbo model:angry:

Works out well tho cos they drive on the same side of the road as us:D

So, I'm guessing this means... to just get the 2500? (for price reasons. Yes, the extra 10 bucks for a 2600 matters.)

Very clockable indeeeeed.

Thanks for your help.

One more question - maybe you can answer (Assuming you OC...)

(You'll find it in the Overclocking forums, labeled "Overclocking Strain")

No problem!

No sorry i don't overclock as a rule (i read that the 2500 was clockable in a pc magazine) and just read ur post about it and really can't help i'm afraid.
I'm sure someone will help u out tho.

Good luck

The 2500+ is a very overclockable processor. I have seen people get it up to 3200+ speeds with regular air powered cooling. Just make sure you get the "barton" with the 333 fsb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom