Can I overclock my processor with the ram I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
3.2 ghz brought my load temps to 85 degrees C, lol. I'm awaiting a new heatsink that should be here on tuesday.

My idle temperature when the processor is not overclocked is 39C with 53C Load. I only reach 85C load when the proc is overclocked from 2.5ghz to 3.2ghz and the gtx 260 is installed instead of the x1900xt. With the x1900xt installed the temperatures remain stable at this overclock.

Newegg.com - Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120mm "Core Contact Freezer" CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

Alright, so here's the deal. I overclocked my processor to 3.0ghz with the x1900xt installed and ran prime95. The highest value recorded was 55C in the temperature monitoring program. Thinking that such a temperature would remain constant if I replaced the x1900xt with the gtx 260, I switched the cards out and ran benchmarks again. This time the processor temperature skyrocketed immediately to 75C at which point I cancelled the benchmark, removed the overclock, and took out the gtx 260. What is this indicative of? Is my power supply not able to supply enough power to both the graphics card and cpu and thus my processor temperature skyrocketed with the gtx 260 in? I don't really know what to think at this point. I am going to try installing the above heatsink when it comes and seeing if it does not resolve my problem.

When the processor is not overclocked it runs at the same temp with the gtx 260 installed as it does with the x1900xt installed. I'm going to assume that the discrepancy in temperatures at the overclocked settings is due to natural increased hot air being in the case. We'll see if this is the case on Tuesday when my new heatsink arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom