Computer Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

WWS

In Runtime
I need to troubleshoot a problem with my new system. I was wondering where is a good place to buy a speaker that I could connect to the motherboard to listen for beeps? In order for Asus to help they recommend I buy one.

If anyone has any insight on this problem please help. I updated the bios, rebooted the system everything checked out. I went into the bios made some changes then exited. The system indicated updating on the LCD poster (comes with motherboard) and sytem freezes. Waited for five minutes then reset system, now LCD indicates CPU Init (CPU initialize). Sytem powers up but does not boot at all.

I do not think it is a problem with the power supply, Asus thinks that the bios update did not flash correctly. This is why I need the speaker.

You can get piezo's from any basic electronics store. Iuno where u are, but here we got **** Smith's, Altronics, Farnell, Tandy, etc etc.

If you find an old pc you can just take the speaker from that, FREE!! :)

I have been in contact with Asus trying to troubleshoot my system to see if it a bios problem, or a CPU problem. So I got my speaker and connected it to the motherboard.

I took the memory out left in the CPU turned the system on and heard no beeps. Called Asus back and this tech after explaining the course of events and telling him no beeps were heard with the memory out. He said CPU failure. I called Asus back five minutes later to see if I get the same answer. This time I was told that it was a bios problem and call back monday ask for the bios dept. and get a new chip sent with the newest bios. I guess if the new chip does not work then it is the CPU in which I call newegg and get a replacement.

Is there anything else I should do?

Cant replace the BIOS with a chip. That hasnt been done in years. You just flash it now. Which can be done without them. Which they will tell you. So you can try for the latest BIOS on your own. then see if it works if not then it would most likely be the CPU.

Actually my mother board has two removable chips that can be removed. One chip holds the bios and the second holds a backup (if a backup has been made). If a bios does get corrupted you can get a chip sent from Asus with an flashed bios and replace the old chip.

That is odd. I have not seen that type of mobo in years. Asus still does that? Last time i saw something like that was back when i was running Win98SE.
Alright sorry for my comment then. Hope you get what you need and get it fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom