Can't get past HP Blue Startup Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

pezdukie

Beta member
Okay so I've got some real problems here; looking for any and all help.

I'm currently using an HP Media Center m8020n computer. I've got a 9600 Dual-slot GSO graphics card and 2 GBs of RAM.

I received 2 more sticks of RAM today and was adding them to the computer. After installing the RAM and blowing some pressurized air through the inside of the computer to get all the dust out, I tried starting my computer up again.

It won't let me get past the blue HP startup screen. There is no power to USB devices, so I can't hit ESC for setup, or F10 or anything.

I've since removed all PCI devices, and everything else. As of now I have my motherboard, graphics card, my original 2 GB of RAM and power supply working together and it still yields that same fateful blue screen. I've reseated the RAM countless times to no avail.

Is this a fried motherboard? Is there any way to troubleshoot something like that? Would removing the CMOS battery be a good idea? And what consequences become of that?

Thanks for any help; it's greatly appreciated.

Reset the cmos, could have been a RAM limitation on what the bios could support and it freaked out while updating. Also, try to have only one stick of RAM, the cpu and heatsink and the GPU plugged up and see if it attempts to get by the blue screen...

Thanks a lot for the reply. I tried resetting the CMOS, and also tried booting with 1 GB of RAM. Sadly no help.
My blue HP screen isn't right either. all the different keystroke commands that are usually on the bottom of the screen aren't there. There is also a random "uR" on the left side of the screen. Don't know how to explain that.

Are there any other ideas?

Woooow, thank you so much philbar and charles. After removing the power cable, than the battery I finally got past that ridiculous blue screen of horror. Of course than I had a boot failure, but that'll be fixed in due time.

So what kind of changes can I expect as a result of a reset bios? anything substantial?

Also, you think this happened because I used 4 GB of RAM when my max was 3.3? I was told by HP customer service that it would work okay, it just wouldn't use all 4 GB. Should I just stick with 3 of the sticks at most?

Well, I've got a lot of work ahead of getting this p.o.s. back together, but thank god I won't have to buy another motherboard or more.

Thanks again!

So what kind of changes can I expect as a result of a reset bios? anything substantial?

Also, you think this happened because I used 4 GB of RAM when my max was 3.3? I was told by HP customer service that it would work okay, it just wouldn't use all 4 GB. Should I just stick with 3 of the sticks at most?

Your plug n play stuff should be recognized with no problem, some other things may have to be set manually. Kinda depends. Shouldn't be a problem, maybe none at all. And I don't know for certain, but I am leaning to not using 4GB memory. Is it XP that you are using ?

I'm using vista. I'm actually on the computer right now typing this, and have all 4 GB of RAM in the system. Does that mean somehow blowing the pressurized air through the system caused the problem?

It may have, and here's why. Pressurized air can be a little wet. You might have sprayed too close to components. Either some moisture got in there and wreaked havoc, or maybe you blew some dust inadvertently into something that caused the resulting problem. I would say it's not necessarily over yet - let's see what happens in the coming hours and days to see if the problem has cleared up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom