I need a new power supply. Which one should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.
well 460 watts is pushing it. i think nvidia recommends a 450 watt psu for a gtx 260. you would be able to overclock much more with the corsair psu.

Alright, then. I may hold off overclocking until I get a new PSU. I think that would be the safest option.

but it only has 15A on one rail and then 18A on the other. nvidia recommends like 30A(or close to it) on the 12v rails combined.

EDIT: just looked on nvidia site and saw that min is 500w for a gtx 260

No single gpu uses 30A, thats a lot of amperage.

What nvidia recommends is total system load..and they overcompensate for crappy psu's. The neo 480 has a total of 33 amps...plenty for a system with a single gpu.

Even with a GTX 260, his max system load will be around 300 watts. My folding rig with dual gpu's and a dual core is running off a 380watt earthwatts, and the load on it is around 300watts with 24/7 usage.

Interesting... It's possible that the 3dmark06 score I got was accurate. After looking at the other scores' processor settings nearly all scores that are higher have understandably higher processor clocks.

Your system is fine, and you have adequate power.

You could oc the cpu to 4ghz and still be well within the output range of the psu. Only reason to get a new psu, is if you wanted to run dual GTX's or a GTX 295.

And yes, 2.5ghz is hurting your 3dmark score. With the chip at 4ghz, it would be way higher.

Ok, now I don't know if I can trust you. There is no way in sam **** that it can go to 4ghz without ice cooling or something. I'm confused. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom