on/off problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

baron5

Fully Optimized
Hey guys, I sold my system to my friend a while ago now which contained a 680i,q6600,4870 and seagate 320gb. Was all working fine until what i believe was the power supply blew after a wrong cable was connected by my friend. he connected the eps(atx 8 pin) to the 4870 accidentally, a capacitor started to smoke but im pretty sure the card is fine (tried my video card and still has same problem). The wierd thing is i think the power supply was faulty before this because the computer keept turning on, then off about 5 seconds later. Since this was happening before he connected the wrong cable, i guess the power supply could have always bee faulty. Ive tried using my earth watts in there and it booted fine. We have had the silverstone St75f (faulty) replaced but it seems they jus sent me back the same psu, becuase its got scratches on it like its the one we had before. ill try put my posu back in tomorrow and see how that goes. we have replaced the mobo now with a msi p45 neo. specs as follows

MSi p45 neo-f
2gb gskill ddr800 Hz/2gb gskill PQ (have tried posting with one stick)
HIS 4870
q6600
seagate 320gb
silverstone st75F psu

I'm pretty sure its the psu and they have just dodged us by giving us back the same one, but any you guys think it could be anything else?

Well if everything was fine with the earth watts then that pretty much self-explanatory. It could also go into a on/off cycle loop because of dodgy bios but if it happens rarely as opposed to everytime then that isn't going to be the issue. I am surprised if silverston just gave the identical psu back they are normally quite good with there service and quality perhaps they just gave you a different rma'd one that had been fixed

Well if everything was fine with the earth watts then that pretty much self-explanatory. It could also go into a on/off cycle loop because of dodgy bios but if it happens rarely as opposed to everytime then that isn't going to be the issue. I am surprised if silverston just gave the identical psu back they are normally quite good with there service and quality perhaps they just gave you a different rma'd one that had been fixed

that wat im thinking, maybe its a refurbished, so ill try my psu tomorrow and see what happens.

ok well, some updated progress, i had the computer working fine, posted with the gskill hz's, then set all the q6600 settings to the stock speeds and then set ram at 2v at 4-4-4-12 which would work with both ram(both rated at 4-4-4-12, and PQ's can handle 2v easily.) So problem was i assume that the PQ' wouldnt not post since the stokc was et at 1000mhz for reason. i turn off then back on to make sure settings worked, change sum little bios settings like, full screen logo on etc. then powred off to go get killdisk on my rig to run on my friends. Next day go to turn on and low and behold no input, tried reseat video card, using different pci-e connector for power, resesting cmos, tried process of emlimination and nothing seems to change it. Ive about had it with this computer, i really just want to sell it and help him make a new i7 rig...

btw everything still turns on and runs, fans etc, just no input

Have u tried using different combos of ram. Sometimes the ram slots on motherboards just go... and dont work. Try with just 1 stick in diff slots, then try the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom