Bought a new power supply, and now problems. Help please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackAnimated

Solid State Member
Hi all. Ok, probably something that is talked about a lot - PSU trouble.

I want to upgrade my graphics card but the Nvidia GTX 8800 requires PCi-e power connectors. A good time to upgrade my PSU I thought. So I buy a refurbished (I know) Thermaltake Toughpower Cable Management 700W - I researched online and this one seemed recommended. I was replacing a 450W PSU.

I installed the new PSU (remember I haven't installed the new card yet) and everything is fine. Then I play a game (a few years old) and about 30mins in the system shuts down. I go to bed. This morning I get up and the PC won't turn on. Like it is dead. I remove the new PSU and put in the old 450W one and it is fine and I am using it now.

So, what is wrong?

Here are some specs of my system;

GF7050-M2 Motherboard
AMD athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual
Core Processor 4600+
2.40 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Nvidia Geforce 8600 GT
DVD RW
250GB HDD

Thanks for any help

Jack

Well since you put the old psu back in and it worked that narrows it down to the new psu.
Did you make sure the modular plugs were placed firmly into the psu?
If it something you can send back on warranty?
For future never try to save a few bucks on a psu.

The little Molex plug, the 4-socket white (power) connectors should be checked for firm connections, as well as the power cord going to the PSU. Make sure the wall to PSU cord is firmly attached before powering up the computer, you don't want to have a surge zap anything.

Always worth another try. I noticed that you said it was a refurbished PSU. Probably not a problem, but maybe if you tried another PSU if you have one handy that you know works can reduce the list of things to check by one.

Ok, I have tried it again and made sure that all plugs are firmly in. Seemed fine until I tried playing Prince of Persia - the Two Thrones, the PC turned off on the game menu screen. Then I tried playing Oblivion, a much newer game and more intensive for the computer. I played for an hour with no problems. Weird huh? anyway, I left it on all day today and was fine until the evening when it just turned off. But rebooted fine.

Is this an overheating problem? maybe because this is a higher wattage PSU the inside of my pc is hotter so it shuts down? How can I tell. The PSU looks very new and clean and the fan spins.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Jack

So, last night it just turned off, and I havent been able to turn it on since. It just flashes on for a milli-second then off when I press the power button.
I am using my old PSU now.

Are we agreed that this refurbished PSU is definatly a dud? and that if I got a new one of this model it would work?

Thanks,

please response,

Jack

The fact that it is higher wattage isn't going to make it hotter. In fact, it will probably run cooler since it is much farther from it's max output than the other PSU.

TT Toughpowers are very good PSU's, so a new one should definitely work.

Buying refurbished is always a risk, I guess you got the bad side of the coin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom