video card for Halo PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

wongb18c

In Runtime
I've had Halo for a long while now... never played it believe it or not because I didn't have the money or the time to pick out a good/decent videocard. I'm lost when it comes to video cards.... so I was wondering if you guys could help me.

1. I checked newegg.com and zipzoomfly.
The choices are too diverse I don't know what the difference between a geforce or abit or radeon or ati or asus.. etc etc [manufacturer/chipset differences]... is.

2. Also some 128mb cards are more expensive than 256mb... kinda lost on that too.

3. Also what is the effective speed mean?

4. What is the core speed mean?

Sorry for noob questions.... I just want to do some research before I spend the money and buy one so I can get the one that is suitable for me. Asking before buying is something I know from experience, is a must do. =)

Okay your specs are good to run the latest games, There are some really good cheap cards you can get i.e GeForce 4 that run games like Halo Smoothly if you tone down the settings abit, but if you want a card to last you ages go for the GeForce 6800

well, the reason some 128mb chips are more expensive (and sometimes better) than 256mb chips is because it doesn't really matter about the ram, but about the chipset itself, i.e. 128mb nVidia 6800 is better than 256mb ATi 9800

its like processors . . . the fx-53 runs at 2.4GHz, and i've seen Intel celerons go upto 2.8GHz . . . even though the celeron has a higher clock speed, we all know that the fx-53 owns it

As koldapu stated, the chipset does make the difference offering different throughput speeds and more pipelines. Not to mention the added support of newer DirectX standards for graphic versatility. Another reason, however, is the type of RAM used on the card. Some use DDR, others DDR2 and even DDR3. This means that the RAM is capable of processing once (DDR), twice (DDR2), or thrice (DDR3) per video card clock cycle. This directly effects the throughput of the card. I would recommend getting a video card such as the GeForce FX line, or a Radeon 9x line if your looking to save money. If your looking for the long hull and want a fast GPU, go for either the ATI X800 or the GeForce 6800 Ultra, these cards go for around 600 dollars but are among the fastest available today. Hope that helps.

yes there are two main chipsets that u should look at nvidia and ati.. then you have different manufacturers that utilize those chipsets into vga cards like ati all-in-wonder, saphire, eVGA, gigabyte, asus, and etc.. hope that clears a lil bit of it up for u :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom